VMware Cloud Community
tingfung
Contributor
Contributor

High PPS from the guest

I am using the ESXi 4.1.

I discover the guest generate high packet.

I reboot the ESXi, it's no any problem. I start boot the guest, then the packet become high.
There have three nics, one of the nic reach 15000 pps (normal case is 500-1000pps).

Two ESXi, both have the same problem. This is not the first encounter this problem.

With the simple network, simple config, and only one guest in the ESXi, after a while (few month), the problem exist.

Please help...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tingfung
Contributor
Contributor

remove the nics from the vswitch, then the packet is 0.

remote desktop into the guest win2003, the packet is rise from 20pps to 100pps, it's not possible ?...

normal case the remote desktop should use few pps ?...

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You need to investigate your VM, its not the ESX or the VM itself that are generating the packets, its the operating system and the software installed that is doing it.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
tingfung
Contributor
Contributor

I use wireshark to monitor the guest.

There have two vnics.

Inside the guest, its 10pps and 18pps.

In the ESXi host, its 170pps and 430pps.

I use the vlan to separate all the subnet. This problem affect most of the VM (can say all of VM).

It does not seem like arp attack or broadcast storm.

0 Kudos
tingfung
Contributor
Contributor

I try to provide more information.

I ping the guest with the following command:

fping 10.10.10.10 -t 10 -c

t for time, c for non-stop ping

the result is 130ms, that means 1000ms (1s) / 130ms = 7.6 pps

after the ping, it rises from 100 pps to 2610 pps tx / 3050 pps rx :smileycry: :smileycry: :smileycry:

i want to die now Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I'm still not sure what the problem are here.

Do you have any performance problems on your VM:s or ESX host other then the "fps" indication?

Is the hardware on the VMware Hardware Comptibility list?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos