DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Help someone before they become unemployed - Error 25004

I tried to update vSphere 4 to 5 last night, I have an issue now where vCenter won't start and I can't complete the upgrade.  The exact error is "Error 25004.Setup failed to create the vCenter Server repository"

vCenter is a VM, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

The SQL Database is 2005

I uninstalled update manager, orchestrator and stopped the vCenter service before I attempted the install

I'm using the SQL Native Client Drver and I tested the connection and saw that the SQL account that is used has the proper rights on database (db_owner, public) this is whwat was in use for about a year or so for our 4.1 seup, no issues

I used the system account for vCenter, I chose to update the database

Right now I can't go forward, and I can't go back and use the old information.  After the install failed the first time, vCenter is no longer on the server...I did take a snapshot of the VM right before the update, and since I stopped the service, no vCenter operations have gone on.

I'm really at a loss right now, our support contract is up, so I can't seem to get help with the problem, and of course we never needed help until now (figures)  Any help is appreciated.

Forgot to mention, the database is on a different server, but as far as I know, nothing has changed and I tested the connection. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
t3ddt3ch
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem, but my vCenter server is physical 2008 R2. Database on a separate 2005 cluster. I got the same error after reinstalling/trying 4 different times. It runs through everything then fails at the end. It could be an issue with your SQL user and permissions to the database(I know, but double check with a DBA). I finally just backed up my old database and created a whole new one. Make sure you check the install logs

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Temp\vminst.log

By not being able to "go back" you mean you cant restore the old database from backup and restore snapshot?

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

there is a kb article here for this issue that may be of use:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100396...

also you will need to make sure you are using a 64 bit dsn

see also the upgrade guide:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-upgrade...

and vcenter upgrade best practices:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200386...

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
nilesh56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi DZ1

I hope it has been figured out till now...

You can try one thing, as your database is at diffrent server (hope if intact) then you can reinstall vCenter Server same version 4.1 and while it ask for Database connection then feed the same DSN.

Hope this may help.

--Thanks | nilesh

DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the replies, I recovered from an old backup days ago, I have just spent the last week brushing up on SQL.  I'm still not 100% sure why the upgrade failed, but I am taking the time to try some mock installs with servers that I built myself and they work fine.  This was definitely a learning experience. 

0 Kudos
scrookston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, did you ever happen to come across what this issue was? I'm currently experiencing the same issue on a system we are upgrading.

Sean http://www.seancrookston.com http://www.twitter.com/seancrookston
0 Kudos
DZ1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I could not pinpoint the exact problem, but here is a summary:

Our department does not really have a DBA per se, so my first problem was I was not familiar with databases as I should have been.

I actually ended up completely building a new vCenter VM, we actually lost about a days worth of data because the database was backed up every two days.  I called a DBA friend of mine for help.  Since I'm not a DBA, I may be using the wrong terminology, so forgive me.  I did have the username and password to a SQL account that had full access. I restored the database from backup (with help), I created the new vCenter VM and made sure the SQL account was dbo over the database, I then performed the upgrade again and it worked.  I can't remember if it was the database for vCenter or for update manager, but be careful about the ODBC connection that you use.  Instead of going to administrative tools, I had to use the connection from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, because it had to be a 32-bit connection. 

The odd part is that I successfully upgraded the restored database, but I still could never upgrade the original (I tried it on another machine just to see).  My main take away was to at least get familiar with some general database use...backing, restoring, and permissions.  I definitely should have really checked the backup before performing the install, but I got off lucky.  What's funny is that the thing I would tell users to do (backup), I didn't do before an update.

I hope this helps in some way.

0 Kudos