VMware Cloud Community
BeW23
Contributor
Contributor

Help recreating .vmdk descriptor files **André**

The datastore where my vm is located became "full" and it has corrupted the vmdk files and now my vm will not "Power On"

I receive the error "File <unspecified filename> was not found.

I believe my situation is similar to this discussion:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2292803

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
25 Replies
BeW23
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I got you, I understand what I did now.. my bad, fixing it now! 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
BeW23
Contributor
Contributor

I was finally able to "power on" the vm.

Is there anyway I can private message you?

Thank you for all your help! 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
I had a very similar problem last week -cleaning the snapshots after the Veeam-failed backup is only the easy part of the job.
You also have a problem inside the VM and it is important to attack this issue here too.

First time I saw the issue was last oktober - I needed quite a while to find the root-cause - which was a missing dll in the Windows VM.
For the current case I have to fix I probably get a date later this week - remind me to update this post here as soon as I found what has to be done.

By the way - here we had to restore the VM from backup - somehow the snapshot "traffic jam" also removed 3 of the 4 vmdks from disk !!!

Watch this VM very carefully - I would also recommend to purge all cbt-vmdks and create a new full backup as soon as possible.

Ulli

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Glad to hear it worked, and I hope you were able to restore most of the files you needed.

André

PS: You can send private messages from the "Actions" box in a user's profile. Just click the user name on one of the replies.

0 Kudos
BeW23
Contributor
Contributor

I had a ticket with VMware and as I suspected it was not removing/consolidating the snapshots correctly when veeam was replicating, so my datastore filled quickly.. I should have been more aware of this and resolved the issue (lesson learned).  I am running an old ESX version 4.0 and I am now looking to upgrade to 5.5  

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I usually use to check the health of the cluster (and also for snapshots) is RVTools. IMO that's one of the tools no vSphere admin should miss.

André

0 Kudos