VMware Cloud Community
RiderFaiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help on time sync issue with my 5ESXi

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing great! Hope you can help. I did some researches but I am still confused.

Currently, I just installed the freeware 5ESXi on a Dell server. One the VM Host, I installed 2 Windows 2008R vm servers with VM Tools  installed, which one of them would be the domain controller. I would like to ask:

1.) How to configure the time setting for the Windows vm server? Right now, the "Syncronize guest time withhost" is unchecked (which is default).

2.) On the VM Host - Configuration - Time Configuration... what settings should I configure? Right now I checked to "Enable" the NTP client. In OPTIONS, which options should I pick (Start automatically... Start and stop with host.... Start and stop Manually...etc)?

3.) Related to #2, should I add the NTP source in the Options?

I am very concerned about the time on the vm server domain controller.... and hope you would help on this....

Thank you very much in advance on this.

Takami Chiro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is the VMware best practices for time sync..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318

1.) How to configure the time setting for the Windows vm server? Right now, the "Syncronize guest time withhost" is unchecked (which is default).

You'll want to complete #2 below before enabling this option, but I would recommend going with this method of time sync instead of having each VM sync time with a domain controller...

2.) On the VM Host - Configuration - Time Configuration... what settings should I configure? Right now I checked to "Enable" the NTP client. In OPTIONS, which options should I pick (Start automatically... Start and stop with host.... Start and stop Manually...etc)?

Typically, I set each ESXi host to sync time with a domain controller.  You'll want to set it to start and stop with the host, but you'll need to set some time sync servers in options first.  You can choose IPs or dns names. 

Yes, you need to add an NTP source before you can enable it to start/stop with the host. 

Once you set it to sync time with a domain controller, I'd make sure your domain controller(s) is syncing time with another time source.  You can find free NTP time servers on the internet, I typically go with one of these.  Microsoft has one you can use as well. 

Here are two sites I've used before:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

NIST Internet Time Service

Hope this helps...

Ben

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is the VMware best practices for time sync..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318

You'll want to complete #2 below before enabling this option, but I would recommend going with this method of time sync instead of having each VM sync time with a domain controller...

Typically, I set each ESXi host to sync time with a domain controller.  You'll want to set it to start and stop with the host, but you'll need to set some time sync servers in options first.  You can choose IPs or dns names. 

Yes, you need to add an NTP source before you can enable it to start/stop with the host. 

Once you set it to sync time with a domain controller, I'd make sure your domain controller(s) is syncing time with another time source.  You can find free NTP time servers on the internet, I typically go with one of these.  Microsoft has one you can use as well. 

Here are two sites I've used before:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

NIST Internet Time Service

Hope this helps...

Ben

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
RiderFaiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for your info! I am sorry to keep asking Smiley Happy

So...for number 1 put down in my first post.... should I have "Syncronize guest time with host" checked for my domain controller? Let's  assume #2 is done.

As for #2, should I sync the VM Host time with a domain controller or internet source? In turn, after #1 and #2 is done, a VM guest which is a Domain Controller will sync the time with the host instead?

I am sorry if I keep repeating my questions...and hope you can help.... thank you very much.

Takami Chiro

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Takami,

For number 1, the option in VMware Tools...  I would check this box, but this is really the LAST step.  If you do this before setting the hosts to sync time correctly, then your VMs will have the wrong date/time. 

For number 2, you can setup to sync with either.  Like I said, typically, I setup the hosts to sync with a domain controller (or two) and have the domain controller(s) sync with an internet time source.  This way, Only the DCs are going to the internet and only the hosts are looking to the DCs for time updates. 

Setting the option for #1 reduces the network traffic of the VMs asking the DC's or Microsoft for time updates. 

The article I posted earlier on Best Practices is very helpful. 

0 Kudos
RiderFaiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ben, thank you very much for clarifying! You are owesome!

Thank you very much again!

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

no problem.

0 Kudos