VMware Cloud Community
JasonTF
Contributor
Contributor

Help needed VM unable to ping to network.

Hi all, apologies as this question might seem very basic, this is because I'm a total beginner in creating VMs on vSphere.

I just installed ESXi on a standalone server with a purpose of creating some test VMs.

Installation & configuration of ESXi went through without any hiccups. I created several VMs but this VM isn't able to ping to my local network. I have assign IP to that VM & configure VM network to the appropriate VLAN ID which this IP sits in, still I'm not able to ping to the rest of the servers in my network.

May I know what did I do wrong here? I'm using the default delivered vswitch0 & VM Network.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

May i konw network IP address range also tell me ESXI ip address.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

How did you set up the network?
Have you connected ESXi's physical network cards to the physical Switch so that it can communicate with other machines on your network?

Are there physical firewalls in the middle?
Does the client firewall on virtual machines allow you to ping?
(try disabling the local firewall on a virtual machine and on a physical machine and try to ping. If it still doesn't work it means that the esxi internal network is not talking to the external network.
Il problema potrebbe essere anche di comunicazione VLAn sullo Switch fisico.
Send us some screens of the configuration network.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
JasonTF
Contributor
Contributor

They're on a different IP segment. My VM is configure as 10.40.8.200 while my EXSi ip is 10.40.11.26

0 Kudos
JasonTF
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the physical adapter on EXSi is connected to our switch. That part of the configuration is working fine as I can access the vSphere web client from my laptop. What is the screen that you need? Below is the screenshot of the vswitch

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How is the physical switch port configured?

What's required in order to work with your configuration on the virtual switch is a tagged (802.1Q) switch port, with the default VLAN set to the one that's used for the Management Network.

André

0 Kudos