VMware Cloud Community
Malmqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help! Upgrade to 6.7 fails with "cannot execute upgrade script on host"

Hi,

I started by uppgrading our Vcenter appliance from 6.0 to 6.7. I then used the Update Manager in Vcenter to upgrade 1 of our 2 hosts (in cluster) to 6.7.

I got the "Errno 39: Directory not empty" error and followed KB: VMware Knowledge Base

I then restarted the upgrade and it chugged along fine. It seemed to complete normally on the physical hosts monitor, but in Vcenter the progress bar seemed stuck. After a while the TASK says "cannot execute upgrade script on host". The new version number (6.7) shows both on the physical monitor and in Vcenter.

When I try to rerun the "Remediation" it just keeps giving "cannot execute upgrade script on host" immediately. I have checked that there is disk space on the host.

Also, the host seems to work as normal. It runs VMs etc. Did the upgrade succeed? Is it normal to get this error when rerunning the remediation?

Thank you.

Edit:

Things i've tried so far (without success):
- Removing host from cluster and uninstalling FDM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Malmqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved! The issue was ASCII characters that python didn't support. I had a VM and a Network that used characters like ÅÄÖ. I removed them since i didn't actually need to keep them. For you, maybe renaming will suffice. Hope this helps someone!

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Malmqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is a piece of the vua-1.log:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Malmqvist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved! The issue was ASCII characters that python didn't support. I had a VM and a Network that used characters like ÅÄÖ. I removed them since i didn't actually need to keep them. For you, maybe renaming will suffice. Hope this helps someone!

Regards,