VMware Cloud Community
PaulLeclair
Contributor
Contributor

Help Request - XXX com.vmware.vc.stats.StatsInsertErrorEvent.category not found error

Hi all,

I just completed a fresh installation of vSphere 4 on a 2003 server with SQL 2005. I went through all of the database steps (running each sql script in the order per the documentation). I've successfully installed vSphere on the server and have been able to attach all of my ESX 4 hosts. The database permissions are good (using full control to the VCDB and UMDB). The servers are licensed off the Enterprise licenses.

Here's the issue I'm facing. When I view performance stats on the hosts, I the form layout of the charts, but no data inside of the charts. The performance charts for the realtime views look okay, but nothing historical is saving.

I've looked at the SQL database and there is no data in the dbo.vpx_hist_stat, stat1, stat2, stat3 or stat4 tables. I've looked at the dbo.vpx_stat_config and stat_counter and there's no data there either. I thougtht maybe that it was a sql permissions issue, but I've reset the datasource to use the SA account, but still nothing goes in.

Everytime I open up the performance tab in the VIC, I get the following error in the event log on the vic:

Type Time Description

XXX com.vmware.vc.stats.StatsInsertErrorEvent.category not found XXX11/20/2009 1:20:00 PM event.com.vmware.vc.stats.StatsInsertErrorEvent.fullFormat (com.vmware.vc.stats.StatsInsertErrorEvent)

I thought I'd start here and see if anyone can help me before digging further.

Thanks!

Paul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mediamoon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paul,

I had the same issue and error messages the last few months. I think you definitely have a permission issue.

Here's my workaround, I hope it will help you, too.

First of all, make sure that your vcenter user has owner rights to the msdb systemdatabase.

Then run the SQL Server Management Studio with your vcenter user and check, if there are these stored procedures available in the VCDB Database:

cleanup_events_tasks_proc

delete_stats_proc

load_stats_proc

purge_stat1_proc

purge_stat2_proc

purge_stat3_proc

stats_rollup1_proc

stats_rollup2_proc

stats_rollup3_proc

upsert_last_event_proc

If not, you can find them on your vcenter Server Program Folder\Vmware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server

Make sure that these stored Procedures have the correct permissions for your vcenter user

Then check the SQL Server Agents Tasks

There should be 3 Tasks according to the VCDB Database.

Past Day stats rollup

Past Week stats rollup

Past Month stats rollup

If not, you can find them in the same VMWare Folder as i mentioned above, paste the code to the object explorer and execute the script.

Make sure that the owner of these tasks is also your vcenter account.

So thats all. I hope you can access your statistics again.

Flo

0 Kudos
PaulLeclair
Contributor
Contributor

Flo, that did the trick! My issue was that I apparently had missed the following 2 procedures during my installation:

delete_stats_proc

load_stats_proc

After I installed those 2 procedures in the VCDB, it started recording data.

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos