VMware Cloud Community
HWMatt
Contributor
Contributor

Help - Localadmin group = read only

Please help me!

I did the dumbest accidental mistake this morning. I was modifying permission groups, when I accidently assigned "localadmin" default group, to the Read-only role.

This group had all my admins, including root.

Immeadiately, I was hosed..I can't do anything, I only have 1 other user who can power off/power on VM's.

Is there anyway to revert this, or adjust using PuTTY?

Or I'm out of luck and need to start all over on my ESXi 4.0 host?

If you can help me fix this, I'll mail you a xmas present!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll want to look at the file /etc/vmware/hostd/authorization.xml. At the top of the file you'll find the permissions you've assign (and that's where you'll find your issue), midway through are the permissions granted to roles and at the bottom is a list of roles you've created. After you update the file you'll likely need to restart the management services (services.sh restart at the console) to pick up the change. Ideally if you have configuration backup you could extract the file from that and replace it rather than directly editing the file.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
HWMatt
Contributor
Contributor

actually I just figured it out 2 min ago... maybe simpler I think

If you can SSH in and get to the "etc" folder

/etc/group

This file lists all of the groups and memberships, I just removed root from localadmin group, and then root only got permissions from root group.

Then I logged in as root and reset normally using VIC...

now I need to go change my pants cause everything is fine..

Thanks for the assist.

0 Kudos