VMware Cloud Community
iamrandywill_89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help? Is my computer compatible with esxi 5

Hello all,

I have a HP pavilion p6-2378PC, and it has a AMD Quad-Core, A8-5600K processor. I'm having trouble determining if my computer is compatible with esx5 or esx5.5. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome to the communities,

you can check compatibility here: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

You won't find desktop PCs there though.

Chances are high ESXi will not run on your PC.

As a workaround, you can install ESXi as a VM inside a VMware Workstation or VMware Player, installed on top of your normal Operating System.

Tim

View solution in original post

4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome to the communities,

you can check compatibility here: http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

You won't find desktop PCs there though.

Chances are high ESXi will not run on your PC.

As a workaround, you can install ESXi as a VM inside a VMware Workstation or VMware Player, installed on top of your normal Operating System.

Tim

iamrandywill_89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Tim. Thanks for your prompt response. First, I'll try to install ESXi on my machine and if it fails to install I will install it inside a VMware workstation. I wanted to avoid hypervisor2. I'm a complete noob to virtualization and not knowledgeable in any vSphere products. I am working on obtaining my VCP-DC5 and hope to get it early next year. That being said, does it really matter if my training lab environment consist of an esxI on top of the physical hardware(hypervisor1) or on top of an Operating system (hypervisor2) ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO it's even a better choice to build the lab based on VMware Workstation. This way you don't have to bother with hardware compatibility, and you can setup multiple ESXi hosts (without the need for additional hardware) which is required for "playing" with advanced functions like HA, DRS, ...

In case you are looking for a nice guide for setting up a lab, see e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab

André

iamrandywill_89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre you're the man. Thanks for the guide

0 Kudos