VMware Cloud Community
Morat
Contributor
Contributor

Help! Insufficient disk space on datastore ".

Hello,

I have a server 2008 VM running SQL 7days a week and i just got a call from users saying that they can't connect. I logged into the ESXi4 host and found that the virtual machine had halted due to insufficient diskspace. I found this a bit weird since there is only one VM on that server at the moment and it only had 70Gb allocated to it (Thick Allocation). The RAID is 130Gb and there was 30Gb showing free (round numbers).

To try and free up some disk space I deleted a snapshot that I had taken after installing and patching the Server2008 OS, this took a suspiciously long time so I think it may have still been "open".

Now when I try and start the VM I get an even scarier set of errors:

Cannot power On TICKETSERVER64 on

GAIA.mydomain.local. A general system error

occurred:

error

07/02/2010 11:03:46

root

Message from GAIA.mydomain.local: Failed to

extend swap file (fileHandle 770373) from 0 KB

to 4194304 KB: No space left on device. Could

not power on VM : No space left on device. Failed

to power on VM

info

07/02/2010 11:03:46

root

Is there any way to get this VM back up and running? Thanks very much for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Morat
Contributor
Contributor

to clarify things a little:

The "Insufficient Disk Space on Datastore ". is showing for the Host - and indeed datastore1 is now showing 7Mb free instead of 30gb.

The errors that I pasted into the body of the post are from the (only) virtual machine, which is failing to start.

The only thing I might have going for me here is another ESXi4 host which has a 250Gb disk array and no VMs at the moment.

0 Kudos