VMware Cloud Community
LanternParallax
Contributor
Contributor

Having issues with ESXi and AMD S9300 x2

First I've been to the AMD drivers page for the card - it tell me Linux and sends me to a github page with no real help.

Been fighting with a new to me S9300 x2 for a week now. First ESXi seems to think the 1 card is 2 R9 Furys/Nano, I think that's okay since I am doing pass through to a Guest. Tried to do my stuff in linux with them the drivers are effectively bog standard AMD drivers, or would the card be recognised for folding at home or my plex server.

So I went to do it on W10 - It can see the devices and will correctly identify them using the Radeon Pro install, but once I am done installing, the Radeon Pro tells me I have no AMD devices installed. When i look in task manager both device will have a stop code fo 43. I can reinstall the drivers and this fixes them, but does not allow them to be used at all. If I reboot they go back to stop code 43.

I've enabled pass through from the host OS to the guest OSs W10 or Linux (ubuntu LTS), I also wonder if something is wrong at the host since it references the card as 2 seperate cards and says they are R9 Fury Nanos (same Architecture though)

Drivers for win10 I tried are everything from AMD FirePro Retail WHQL -15.201.2401 to  Radeon pro software 21.q2 june18. And I've crashed the host to a PSOD a few times when the card(s) are assigned to a VM.

I have seen a few other AMD products that has ESXi drivers but there are none listed for this one.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there magic drivers for this? 

Specs: HP DL385 Gen8 | ESXi 6.5 (Update 3 version 650.U3.9.6.10) | Opteron 6376 x2  128 GB of Ram (ECC)| AMD FirePro S9300 x2 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMTN has an area for ESXi, a moderator should be along to move your thread to that area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LanternParallax
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Its just a PITA because I feel like this is a HPC issue but I am just an grad student playing around trying to build my own place to crunch numbers.

0 Kudos