VMware Cloud Community
cy_jeraldleung
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware suggestion to increase workload for current VM

Hi,

I am using ESXi 5 on my current config as:

CPU: Q9550 / MB: Asus P5Q-EM / RAM: 4GB DDR2 / HD: 1TB x 2 (Raid1)

I have 2 x WinXP for user to use RDP running small application (concurrent users < 5) + 1 Win Serv08 R2 for Anti-virus server.

I would like to add 1 more Server 08 R2 server on it for another application server (running 1 application with SQL express, concurrent connected user <5).

1) Please suggest if I increase totally 8GB ram to the server can support it?

2) As it's difficult to find a MB for Q9550 that support DDR3 ram, I still need to upgrade the DDR2 Ram, it is worth?

3) Is it better to move the VM storage to my NAS (Buffalo Tera Station with 1TB x 4)? Or using the current HD inside my VM server? (Storage size inside VM should not be too large)

Thanks,

Jerald

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JarryG
Expert
Expert

1. your motherboard supports up to 16GB, so you can add more memory. But check hw-compatibility list for supported modules.

2. that depends on how much you have to pay for ddr2-ram. I'd try to get 2nd hand (i.e. ebay).

3. depends on network speed/latency and NAS configuration. If your NAS is attached to esxi by 1gbit, I'd say it is about the same. But NAS gives you better protection against HW failure (I suppose you have those 4x 1TB in RAID)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos