VMware Cloud Community
Tenkian
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding or not available

This is the error I get when selecting the Hardware Status tab on any of our vSphere servers in vCenter. The servers were upgraded from ESX 3.5 update 4 and the hardware status was working before the upgrade.

When I connect to the vSphere servers individually through the vSphere client I can see the hardware status under configuration > hardware. The problem is only through vCenter.

I have just installed Dell OMSA 6.1 on all our hosts and this has not helpded fix the issue.

Any help on this?

34 Replies
sheredia12
Contributor
Contributor

I have just experienced the exact same problem. Does anyone have a solution? My two hosts are powered and running just fine.

Error Message: "Hardware monitoring service not responding, the host is not powered on"

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Open an SR with VMware. This one is going to be a hot topic if a 3rd person can validate the issue. If I have time this week I may see if I can recreate the issue.

0 Kudos
sheredia12
Contributor
Contributor

The hardware status is now working again. Interesting. Nothing has changed in our environment. No host restarts, no services restarts and no patch updates. I'm going monitor until I lose the feature again and check vSphere event logs. Maybe that will give me a clue as to what may be going on.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

Please open cases with VMware if you have seen this. VMware has had trouble recreating this issue, and thus have not put the resources on this issue, per my understanding, that it really does need. The only way to show VMware that the issue is significant is for everyone to communicate it via SRs.

0 Kudos
IndyGeek
Contributor
Contributor

I just came across this error. Brand new install on 2 Dell R610's. Everything else seems to be just fine. I have one Guest OS running on the new install and its on the host that is giving the error message.

0 Kudos
antivir
Contributor
Contributor

Is your vCenter Hardware status plugin "enabled"? (when you get error)

0 Kudos
IndyGeek
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is see attached, the Hardware Status works fine on my other host that is the identical hardware.

0 Kudos
Tenkian
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed the issue with a simple firewall rule change. You must ensure you have the following :

Incoming (To ESX Server)

CIM Secure Server 5989 (TCP)

CIM SLP 427 (UDP, TCP)

Outgoing (From ESX Server)

CIM SLP 427 (UDP, TCP)

0 Kudos
IndyGeek
Contributor
Contributor

I am using ESXi not ESX so how do I get to the firewall config with that?

0 Kudos
IndyGeek
Contributor
Contributor

I opened an SR with Support and was able to fix the issue. It was as simple as removing the host from vCenter then re-adding it.

0 Kudos
localj
Contributor
Contributor

Can confirm that removing and re-adding the ESX host solved the issue for me.

2 x ESXi 4.0 on Dell PowerEdge R710

0 Kudos
suda123
Contributor
Contributor

I get this error in my ESX 4 vSphere Env.vCenter

Hardware Status

VMware, Inc.

Disabled

Displays the hardware status of

hosts (CIM monitoring)

The following error occured while downloading the script

plugin from

-

.xml:

Unable to connect to the remote server

0 Kudos
felix107
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same error too from above. Is there a solution for this?

I noticed that when I have vDS setup and I tried removing one of the esx host I get the following error:

"The resource vim.HostSystem <host name> is in use. Cannot remove the host <host name> because it's part of the DVS dvSwitch"

Does this mean I have to remove it and then I can remove the host to try to fix this plug-in issue that I have.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sanderma
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue.

removing the host from Virtual Center and adding it solved it for me too.

I got the error after the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices didn't start, and had to be started manually.

0 Kudos
ThonyJ
Contributor
Contributor

For me the problem was resolved by disconnecting from the host and then connect again.

0 Kudos
Integr8
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error too but it was nothing to do with a DMZ.

When we upgraded VirtualCenter v2.5 to vCenter 4, it used HTTP Port 85, not 80.

I manually changed the port to Port 80 in vCenter by going through 'Administration -> vCenter Server Settings -> Ports'.

I then rebooted the vCenter Server and can now connect.

Hope that helps...

"I'll never turn to the Dark Side..."
0 Kudos
vmiadmin
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and after disconnecting and connecting the ESX host from the vi client fixed the issue.

_______________________ www.ngenera.com nGenera Powering the Collaborative Enterprise
0 Kudos
gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried

and

but no go.

here the host is not in a DMZ

and its a fresh installation of vsphere 4.1

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
0 Kudos
alshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

i tried everything listed over here still not working , it wont fix that error msg , vmware tech support didnt get back to me yet , we rand DSET utility and this what happened the hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding

anyone figured that thing out ? other than removing and adding the hosts and restarting management services and reinstalling the esx4 and checking the network setting to make sure its not in dmz and make sure the ports are open ?

0 Kudos