VMware Cloud Community
EAIabach
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Status - No Storage Info

We are currently deploying our first ESX 4.0 Hosts. I heard alot about the enhancements to baked in hardware monitoring in vSphere but it doesn't look much differnet than 3.5 / VC 2.5. My hosts are 4.0 U1 running on HP DL380G6 and VC is 4.0. I have attached a doc showing what sensors are shown in VC. Is there a way to "expose" more sensors. Specifically, we need to see health status of the disk. Also, is there any way to use snmp to communicate with a HP SIM Server. We do not want to install the HP Agents in the COS if it can possilby be avoided.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert

i don't think there is a way to "expose" more. You can always try installing the version of ESXi that ties in with your hardware vendor. In this case, download the HP version of ESXi

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you tell me the reason why you don't want to install the HP management agents?

They are fully supported by VMware and HP (http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc/sys_mgmt_links.html)

BTW: the actual version is 8.3.1 (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=de&cc=de&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&prodNameId=3884083&swEnvOID=4040&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-54e9417b70db4823aff1cefbc0)

André

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert

i don't know the exact answer, but perhaps the HP management agents are there for some other collecting tool besides vCenter. Like i said, you can try HPs ESXi version and see what you get

0 Kudos
EAIabach
Contributor
Contributor

There are several reasons.

1. We had a support case where HP Agents were causing purple screens on our hosts. VMware support asked us to uninstall.

2. Meeting with HP Engineers at HP's Lab center in Atlanta we were told to NOT install HP Agents on an ESX Host

3. Our VMware SE specifically said do not install HP Agents on ESX Host if it can be avoided.

4. Former HP Top Engineer now with CISCO in a meeting with CISCO said, do not install HP Agents in COS.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Makes you wonder why you should go with HP servers at all... :smileyshocked:

VCP4

0 Kudos