VMware Cloud Community
nitzerebbs
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Status Alerts - Unconfigured Disk : Disk Error HPSA

Hi,

I am running a single ESX Host 7.0 U1 (HP Microserver Gen10 plus) with HPE E208i-p SR on 4x 2TB SSDs (single lun).

I am getting many hardware errors with unconfigured disks, system runs normal: 

ESX_Error.jpg

I also tried searching for any help, but all infomation is based on older ESX versions...
Does someone have a solution for this ? 

Thanks 

Jan

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
70 Replies
Gothar_svk
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing new, we still use firmware 3.00 for the storage controllers.

It is still the same with SPP 2022.03.0 and ESXi 7.0.3.

PS: the new ilo 5 2.65 fails to report status periodically so Nagios puts alarms to flapping status. We had to downgrade to version 2.55 for now.

0 Kudos
FrostByteVA
Contributor
Contributor

So after further testing, a workaround has been provided.  Uninstalling the SMX provider, reboot, then let monitoring system fire alarm when it's reman aged.  Clear the alarm and it doesn't re-fire.  At least with SolarWinds, it seems to rember the error state, fire alarm, then perform inventory and then clear the alarm.  Problem is, vLCM will show the image as out of compliance because it's missing the driver.  Additionally, each time you use vLCM to update the drivers from HPE, it would reinstall the SMX provider and you would need to manually uninstall before monitoring is re-enabled.  The SMX Provider is needed for Gen9 and they don't expect it to go away soon.  Hardware monitoring seems to be ok w/o SMX installed on our Gen10+.  I suggested another driver image w/o the SMX provider to be sent to HPE but I don' think HPE really cares about the issue.

0 Kudos
Beny1700
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here on esxi 7.03

Proliant dl380 Gen10

HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10
Firmware version 5

0 Kudos
00BaSe00
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone tested Version: 5.32(B) (28 Sep 2022) with DL380 GEN Plus ? Is the error still present?

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/softwaredetails?language=de&softwareId=MTX_c6530ac4ce4e49f5a0719f8...

0 Kudos
golfperson
Contributor
Contributor

So far still the same issue with controller firmware 5.32(B), so HPE has still not bothered fixing this over a year later. Version 3.00 remains the latest version without this problem.

This 'resolution' from HPE of removing the smx provider is not acceptable either for multiple reasons:

1. After doing so you cannot view the storage sensor status of the hosts in question
  2. As mentioned in this thread, using image-based management in vCenter 7.x leads all hosts to show non-compliant once the vib is removed
  3. Updating the hosts again will just re-install it since they continue to provide it in their customizations even though it has this problem..

00BaSe00
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case with HPE and got the following response on the issue:

I have received the following FB from L2 colleagues:

================================================================

Agentless Management System is doing that instead, smx-provider is only intended for usage on Gen 9 systems, and on Gen 10 results in a memory leak and repeated crashes on the ESXi host. However, HPE cannot remove the SMX providers from the HPE Custom Images, vibsdepot or the VMware unified depot deliverables for any Operating System release that still support HPE Gen9

================================================================

0 Kudos
SvenVanRoeyen
Contributor
Contributor

What an unsatifying answer from HPE support. Then they should provide seperate images for Gen9 and Gen10 if they are unable to fix this issue in another way.

0 Kudos
BartD80
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah... for us as customer, HPE is unable to:

- make their ILO command line tools work with the latest ILO firmware. They recommend downgrading while the current version is a critical update. HPE is unable to confirm this as a bug or set a timeframe for a fix

- their own diagnostics runs on completely new servers fail, their solution is to swap the mainboard on a completely new devi

- unable to support their HPE Power Protector for Vmware ESXi7, an OS that is out for more than 2 years

- unable to ship replacement parts for server hardware under 24/7 4h maitenance contracts in a timely manner (required at least 5 days to get the part).

Now this driver related fiasco as well... HPE has lost the plot.

0 Kudos
BartD80
Contributor
Contributor

For your interest, the issue is no longer seen with the following ISO version:
VMware-ESXi-7.0.3-21424296-HPE-703.0.0.11.3.0.5-Apr2023.iso

FrostByteVA
Contributor
Contributor

I think it cleared for me in the December 2022 driver pack when using vLCM.

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes we had to manually remove SMXProvider and updated the cluster image with VMware-ESXi-7.0.3-21424296-HPE-703.0.0.11.3.0.5-Apr2023.iso which has fixed the issues. 

0 Kudos