VMware Cloud Community
nitzerebbs
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Status Alerts - Unconfigured Disk : Disk Error HPSA

Hi,

I am running a single ESX Host 7.0 U1 (HP Microserver Gen10 plus) with HPE E208i-p SR on 4x 2TB SSDs (single lun).

I am getting many hardware errors with unconfigured disks, system runs normal: 

ESX_Error.jpg

I also tried searching for any help, but all infomation is based on older ESX versions...
Does someone have a solution for this ? 

Thanks 

Jan

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
70 Replies
nitzerebbs
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it does not fix the issue

0 Kudos
lminarik1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we have installed it today and the error is still present.

We are using HP DL580 G10 with Smart Array P408i-p. 

ESXi version 7.0.3, 18644231 installed from VMware-ESXi-7.0.3-18644231-HPE-703.0.0.10.7.1.16-Oct2021.iso

The only workaround for now is downgrade to firmware 3.00 

We have tried also this and it didn't help at all: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00117054en_us

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes removing the smx-provider fixes the issue. 

0 Kudos
DanGolan
Contributor
Contributor

Would you please provide directions on how to remove and what else is affected when removed?  TIA

0 Kudos
markdcb
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does fix the issue,

however: the sfcbd-watchdog / CIM server won't start anymore so you cant use remote monitoring tools to view status' anymore.

"The Small Footprint CIM Broker Daemon (SFCBD) is not running. Storage health data is reported by this daemon. Please see this KB article for information on enabling this service."

vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00117054en_us

For VMware ESXi 6.5 / 6.7 esxcli software vib remove -n smx-provider For VMware ESXi 7.0 esxcli software component remove -n smxProvider

0 Kudos
FrostByteVA
Contributor
Contributor

DL360 G10 w/ Gen10 Service Pack for ProLiant version 2021.10.0

HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 4.11

ESXi 7u3c using imaged based management

HPE Driver pack: HPE Customization for HPE Servers 703.0.0.10.8.1-3

results in: smx-provider 700.03.16.00.12-14828939 HPE VMwareAccepted 2022-01-05

Same problem.

0 Kudos
wattebausch
Contributor
Contributor

VSAN Skyline Health for ESXi 7u3 recommends Firmware 4.11. If you want use 7U3 you couldn't downgrade to 3.00.

I ask myself, is it better to remove the smx-provider and not see anything like controller battery, connected disk, logical disk.....or ignore the error message of non-existent disk?

wattebausch_1-1648054582026.png

what do you think?

0 Kudos
_Kostek_
Contributor
Contributor

I think a better solution is to ignore the non-existent disks error and have the rest of the components monitored.

Jarek

0 Kudos
DanGolan
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, easier if you do not have monitoring software constantly alert about this errors and having to repeatly explain that VMWARE is unable to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
_Kostek_
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe it is possible to silence only this alarm (it was possible for me)?

0 Kudos
FrostByteVA
Contributor
Contributor

I've still been fighting with HPE on this matter.  VMware showed me in the MOB where the hardware is reporting the problem as a critical error.  With that, I'm targeting HPE for a fix.  The suggestions have included rolling back firmware to 3.x (not supported on ESXi 7u3) and to remove the smx-providers VIB (disable all hardware alerting).  For us, we are monitoring hardware health via vCenter through ESXi, rather than trying to alert on the iLO so I need hardware insight via ESXi.

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was so annoying that the latest release didn't have a fix for smxprovider. We have clusters mixed with Gen9 & Gen10 managed under single image and had to disable our monitoring software on Gen10s and enable vcenter alarms. Hope the next release have a fix. 

0 Kudos
googol13
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded my HP DL360 Gen10 P408i-a controller from v4.11 (came from Oct 2021 SPP I ran prior) to v5.00 that just got released a few days ago, still having the same issue.

Running the latest HPE OEM, fresh off the presses a few days ago in April 2022, 7.0 U3d

need a real fix from HPE, still need to monitor hardware...

0 Kudos
FrostByteVA
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, HPE told me that they weren't going to fix it, even after I escalated with my sales rep.  That will lead to a painful conversation in the near future.  We did find that using SolarWinds Application Monitor as our monitoring tool, we were able to disable the false-positive errors so that we can continue to monitor the rest of the system.

Settings > All Settings> Manage Hardware Sensors> Filter by machine name > disable all erroring disks.  

0 Kudos
nihateris
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
Has this problem been fixed with version 5.12?

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for this link and info

bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, is HP going to fix this?  Do they need additional information from us to fix it?

0 Kudos
bradhs123
Contributor
Contributor

I followed this article: Document - Advisory: (Revision) HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 Controllers - Additional Disks Are Displaye...

Which removed smxProvider.

BUT! No more monitoring data... How do I reinstall smxProvider?

0 Kudos
stefanbrun
Contributor
Contributor

any update on this case? have the same error with CheckMK Monitoring Software, but only with one Gen10 server.

0 Kudos