VMware Cloud Community
j4ni
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Compatibility of vSphere 6 / 5.5U2 with old equipment (IBM x3550M2, x3550M3, x3850x5, NetApp FAS2040)

Hi Folks,

I am quite new here, so please forgive me if my question is lame. I could not find any relevant info in the search results for 3550M2 so I create this topic.

I have been tasked to assess and take over an abandoned virtualized testlab (2x3 hosts, redundant stacked switches, 2x iSCSI NetApp etc.)
and make the best out of it. The lab will be for internal application and application ineroperability testing and much less for vmware feature testing.

No plans to run mission services on it, it will not even interfce with customer.

I would want to upgrade to the latest possible vSphere version which will run without any problems and headaches.

I have already checked with the HCL and the lowest denominator for official compatibility is ESXi 5.1U3. (I could not check the HBA since I dont know yet the actual modell/make)

So I had three questions:

-(1)What should be my expectation, will these equipment work with vS 6 or at least 5.5? If yes, will it work out of the box or do I need a lot of workarounds?

(I am quite inexperienced with actual live systems)

-(2)Obviously SAN Storage / Switch and HBA firmware version will play and important role in upgrade decissions / possibilities. Where can I check the actual supported / required

firmware version for Storage / Switch / HBA?

I found the answer for (2) you just have to click on the model designation and the supported FW versions are listed

-(3)

Thanks for the kind answer in advance!

BR

Janos

Message was edited by: j4ni

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

What should be my expectation, will these equipment work with vS 6 or at least 5.5? If yes, will it work out of the box or do I need a lot of workarounds?

You may upgrade your system to latest vSphere 6.0/5.5 but may be it will not function correctly. some module is not work of that particular system.

So if you are in the production environment than i would suggest not  to upgrade the system. 

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
j4ni
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replay CoolRam,

but thats not exactly what I need. I know that running ESXi/vSphere on hardware not listed in the HCL will most probably disqualify it from VMware support.

And that i can run into problems is obvious.

What I would like to have are replys with experience regarding the above equipment, how well it worked out to run it with newer version of vSphere than listed in the HCL.

x3550 series Servers and NetApp FAS2040 must have been quite a common equipment back in the days so I assume that some hands on experience must be present with

new, unsupported versions (5.5 / 6.0) of vSphere.

The lab will be internal only and will not face customers. We will not have any SLA-s for the services it provides. (typically to verify whether application X is compliant with application

Y and how to configure them both). so nothing critical here.

I would like to ensure that if the equipment is still usable then its life gets prolonged in a meaningful way.

BR

Janos

0 Kudos