VMware Cloud Community
sfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hardware Certification - SCSI Controller Type Question

Arethe VM SCSI Controller types defined in the Storage Certification Guide mandatory ?

I've installed Windows 2008 Server on a VM with the Controller type LSI Logic SAS (as far as I see, I cannot change this before an installation) and after the installation was completed and VM booted ok I powered off and changed the controller type to VMware Paravirtual. VM couldn't boot. I changed the controller type to LSI Logic Parallel and got the same result - VM couldn't boot Windows.

Can I use LSI Logic SAS on all VMs where I cannot change the controller type or it won't pass Verification test ?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The reason it can not boot is that there is no driver installed for it.

To go around that, add another controller of the new type, boot windows and let it install the driver for it, then shutdown switch the first one around and you should be fine.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's even more serious: after VM could not boot with these SCSI Controllers, I changed it back to LSI Logic SAS and it couldn't boot with it.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The reason it can not boot is that there is no driver installed for it.

To go around that, add another controller of the new type, boot windows and let it install the driver for it, then shutdown switch the first one around and you should be fine.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Linjo, but I don't know how to add a SCSI Controller. From vSphere client GUI I can only change the type.

Any hints ?

0 Kudos
sfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct Answer, Linjo.

Thanks !!!

0 Kudos
sfields
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But unfortunately this trick doesn't work for Linux (RedHat or SuSE) VMs.

When I am installing the OS on VM from the workbench - ho do I define the SCSI controller type ?

0 Kudos
mattghardy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with the Linux VMs. Two of the RHEL vms installed via installation helper were deployed with LSI Logic Parallel (as there is no option to change it within workbench), but need to be changed to LSI Logic SAS. I was able to add an additional controller and mkinitrd, but the GOS fails to boot afterward.  Anyone have guidance?

0 Kudos