VMware Cloud Community
rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Hard Drive is not detected on Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H

Hi All,

I am having some issues performing an install of esxi v6 on my new system.

Its a brand new system which i planned to perform an installation and it failed.

During the devices detection, it did not list any devices for me to choose where to install esxi to, it does not provide ,me with a selection.

Please find the attached screenshot of lspci -p

Please advise.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Suggest its a driver issue,

you can use this link to confirm what device is detected and driver information: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102720...

Should help to locate the required drivers.

Rich

0 Kudos
rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Im not getting too much luck with that.

I have tried to insert a Linux & Windows installation disc and it works perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So not the greatest way to do this but,

what i did with mine (which also had HD detection issues) was i installed onto a USB to start with, then once i had the full install i tried different drivers from the chipset until it was able to detect the disks.

I find its easier that way, as you can have the box on the network and pull drivers and test quicker.

Rich

rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Rich,

The idea did strike me as i recall having a similar issue when SATA drives were not very well supported in Linux (around 10 years back).

There was a particular distro which i could not remember that i had issues getting it working on my brand new hard drive..

Well, i will give it a shot. I have installed Linux on the system as i know there was the issue back then pertaining to drives which were not initialised.

I guess it should not be too difficullt to find out which drivers i need. Once i do find out the chipset drivers, is there a specific type of drivers that i need to download it?

If so, where do i download it from?

Is there a specific fs type for the thumbdrive ? [ext3, ext4, fat32, etc]

Thanks..

0 Kudos
rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, i have got the install of esxi 6 completed. Yippie!

But it does not detect the storage volumes and and storage adaptor.

Have tried to re-scan but it produces the same result

0 Kudos
rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Well, ive got it rocking! Vm Server is installed and storage is detected courtesy of this link (VMware Front Experience: How to make your unsupported SATA AHCI Controller work with ESXi 5.5)

One question... i noticed that the max file size is limited to 2TB data size. That is rather shocking in this day.

Does that refer to the file size of a vm host or the vm server. If its a vm host, i guess thats fine as this is for my test environment only.

If its for the entire VM server, it is shocking. If so, how do i go around it? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey,

Sorry wasn't getting email alerts for your replies.

Glad you have it working.

What hardware version is the vm you are assigning the disk too?

Take a look here VMware KB: Support for virtual machine disks larger than 2 TB in VMware ESXi 5.5

0 Kudos
rickbath
Contributor
Contributor

Well, im not too sure of your question as im new to virtualisation.

0 Kudos
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem

here is a good pdf that shows you the configuration maximums for vsphere 6.0

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere6/r60/vsphere-60-configuration-maximums.pdf

should explain what you need to know.

But to answer the question the largest data store is 64tb, the largest disk you can assign to a vm is 62tb.

R

0 Kudos