VMware Cloud Community
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HTML5 Client for Direct ESXi Host Connection.

hi,

Are you able to get or use a HTML5 client when you connect directly to a Esxi host instead of the flash version?

i.e can you use a interface like the vsphere client for vcenter. but for a direct connection to a Esxi Host. 

Matt

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Available clients for direct host access are the Windows based vSphere Client for ESXi versions up to v6.0 (may work with ESXi 6.5 prior to Update 1 too), and the Embedded Host Client (available, for the previously mentioned versions/builds).

For vCenter Server access clients are - depending on the vCenter Server version - the Windows based vSphere Client, the flash client, and the HTML5 client. The latter will likely be the only one in the future.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the "Embedded Host Client" is accessible through https://<esxi-ip-or-fqdn>/ui/

Note that for ESXi 5.5, and 6.0 it has been added after GA, i.e. for ESXi 5.5 it's available with build 4179633, for ESXi 6.0 it's build 3568943.

André

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi andre,

yes I found that but that's in a flash format, I mean in a HTML5 format like the vsphere client for vcenter. not the blue flash version.

Matt

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It looks similar, but it's a HTML5 client, i.e. no flash required

André

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi andre,

is there one available that can be similar the new vcenter version (vsphere client) orr?

Matt

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Available clients for direct host access are the Windows based vSphere Client for ESXi versions up to v6.0 (may work with ESXi 6.5 prior to Update 1 too), and the Embedded Host Client (available, for the previously mentioned versions/builds).

For vCenter Server access clients are - depending on the vCenter Server version - the Windows based vSphere Client, the flash client, and the HTML5 client. The latter will likely be the only one in the future.

André

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi andre,

thanks for that.

are their any alternatives to vcenter server? that I can use for viewing multiple esxi hosts ?

as I cant really afford £7k for vcenter to manage 11 esxi hosts.

Matt

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, you can open multiple tabs in a browser to connect to the hosts, but without vCenter Server, you'll not be able to run the hosts in a cluster, and use features like HA, vMotion, etc. Also note that in case you are using the free ESXi Hypervisor edition, that you also cannot use most commercial VM based backup applications.

André

0 Kudos