VMware Cloud Community
Joost-de-Heer
Contributor
Contributor

HPE server missing storageStatusInfo in MOB

Hello,

I recently patched a ESXi 7.0 server with the HPE custom image from October 2022. After this, our monitoring tool mentions that it can't find the disks anymore, and when I check https://ESXhost/mob/?moid=ha-host&doPath=runtime.healthSystemRuntime.hardwareStatusInfo I see that the storageStatusInfo is set to 'Unset'.

I've already tried restarting the management services, but I think there's a HPE component that's not started properly, or didn't register properly.

Anyone else seen this and knows the solution, or should I contact HPE for support?

Joost

0 Kudos
5 Replies
joffrey_godard
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The HPE MIB is not supported anymore by HPE and should not be present anymore in the ESXi image. Reason you still have the MIB is that you updated from a previous version. The MIB incriminated is the HPE SMX-Provider.

You can check if you are impacted :

Document - Advisory: (Revision) HPE Smart Array SR Gen10 Controllers - Additional Disks Are Displaye...

0 Kudos
Joost-de-Heer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Joffrey,

The article you refer to is about non-existing disks that are shown, my problem is about existing disks that are not shown.

Joost

joffrey_godard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joost,

indeed, this is the main issue, but anyway you shouldn’t rely on the SMX provider and HW information provided by HPE hosts. This is going to get worse with vSphere 8 😕

Joost-de-Heer
Contributor
Contributor

The SMX vib isn't installed.

esxcli software vib list | grep -i smx --> 0 results

esxcli software component list | grep -i smx --> 0 results

As I said, the problem is in MOB, see the screenshot that I provided in the first message, and I don't think that uses SNMP.

0 Kudos
joffrey_godard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

indeed the problem is different, sorry for my mistake. 

Are you aware of this post, tho? 

Solved: Host Hardware Status - VMware Technology Network VMTN

The discussion looks like the one we have here, except that its about 6.7...

Do you have the possibility to open a SR? I am very interested in the answer support could give you!

0 Kudos