VMware Cloud Community
pwc401
Contributor
Contributor

HP dl380p Windows 2003 32bit installation fail

Hi,

I'm trying to install windows server 2003 32 bit on an HP DL380p g8/VMware 5.5.  It's hanging on: "windows setup" during the installation.  I'm aware of the fact 2k3 32bit is no longer supported on HP dl380p g8 bare metal.

Has anyone run this configuration?

TIA - pwc

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

That should actually work without issues. Can you confirm that the installation image is ok and contains the latest SP?

I assume you created the VM with the default "hardware", e.g. an LSILogic parallel disk controller!?

André

0 Kudos
pwc401
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre for the confirmation.  I'll go though the req's you listed and see if there is anything missing.

pwc

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Just made a quick test on a Proliant DL380e running VMWare 5.5 Update 1. Used a Windows 2003 R2 32bit ISO file of CD1 for installation. Installation took less than 15-20 minutes.

The only thing I changed during creation of the test VM from default settings is the (virtual) RAM, default (after selecting Windows 2003 32bit as operating system in VMWare) is 1GB and I added 3GB RAM to the VM configuration.

Maybe that's the reason why it hangs at setup because it has only 1GB RAM which should make the VM VERY slow.

I would also recommend using an ISO instead of a real CD for installation as this speeds things up, too.

pwc401
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much guys, was trying to boot from a missing lun in the template.

pwc

0 Kudos