VMware Cloud Community
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

HP StorageWorks x1600 h/w acceleration?

Hey everyone,

I've configured our HP SAN in a RAID 10 config, and set up x3 LUNS (virtual disk or VHD files under Windows Storage Server). I've also configured iSCSI Target, assigned the virtual disks and presented these through to our hosts. I have also created x3 Datastores on the LUNS and all seems well.

However, I notice that 'hardware acceleration' is shown as 'not supported' within ESXi (see attached image). How can I 'enable' h/w acceleration on the SAN... would this be possible?

Strangely, hardware acceleration is also showing as 'unknown' for the local storage, too... ?

Note: I am using the iSCSI S/W initiator with multipathing (x2 VMKernel ports / pNICs bound

thanks all

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Just to bump this, just wondering if there is a way to 'enable' hardware acceleration for our SAN, if it's even possible or supported on the StorageWorks models?

Thanks folks

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

there is a plugin I think for the unit. is it a g1 or g2?

you would have to check with hp to download it.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

Its a G2

Thanks mate, let me know. Much appreciated

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Per VMware's HCL, VAAI (aka hardware acceleration) is not supported by any model of the X1600.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thank you for that, really appreciate your help. Wonder if that will change in the future

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

I personally would doubt it.

THe HW accel would have to be implemented by MS (as the x1600 runs Windows Storage Server), and they are direct competitors to VMware. 

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

My thoughts too

Connected by MOTOBLUR™

0 Kudos