VMware Cloud Community
wpatton
Expert
Expert

HP SIM 1.0 Offline Bundle for ESXi 4.0 - Installation Error

Has anyone attempted this installation since the release from HP? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=37...

I have attempted the install and I am greeted with the error: Install operation failed: Insufficient space available on host (require 3 MB and only 0 MB available).

This makes sense to me based on the default partitioning done by the ESXi installer. Any thoughts or comments?

Thank you,

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
19 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I could only assume that this is the HP CIM stuff. I looked and I can't find any real description. Without some real understanding of what it would do for me I wouldn't want to even think about installing. I saw somewhere that HP will be releasing the HP specific versions of ESXi 4 very soon (June).

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mhanbury
Contributor
Contributor

Managed to install the HP ESXi V4 offline bundle onto a BL460G1 running ESXi V4. However even after a reboot there is no Storage option under Health Status...

0 Kudos
mhanbury
Contributor
Contributor

Storage monitoring working now. Just took a little while to come through.

0 Kudos
NycSMart1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. Though, I have plenty of space available for the installation.

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

mhanbury, how were you able to install from the offline package? Did you have to modify your installation?

Thank you.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
MiloDeVries
Contributor
Contributor

I've just followed the instructions provided by HP:

- put the host in maintenance mode

- run vihostupdate.pl --server

- reboot

And presto, storage monitoring!

0 Kudos
DSeaman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So with vSphere 4.0 and this SIM package, do we now get FULL HW status monitoring in SIM? From what I read in ESX 3.5, critcal hardware monitors such as NICs and storage were not available. If this update package provides 100% coverage for HP HW monitors, that is one of my last barriers to deploying ESXi.

Derek Seaman
0 Kudos
NycSMart1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having the same problem. Anyone else figure out a way to solve this?

• Install operation failed: Insufficient space available on host (require 3 MB and only 0 MB available).

0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same issue, not enough space left to complete the command. HP's site does give procedure, but it doesn't seem to work even on a fresh built esxi 4 load. Those of you who've had success, are you loading this on esx 4, or esxi 4? I'm attempting to install to a DL380 G6 5540

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

I just came back to this and retried today, however I was using the --username option with vihostupdate.pl before. I removed this and just allowed it to prompt me, and everything worked this time.

Only use the options: --server --install --bundle

Let me know if this solves the issue for you as well.

0 Kudos
NycSMart1
Contributor
Contributor

I was not able to get this to work.

I solved it by installing the HP version of ESXi

I belive that provides the same functionality.

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=VIRTVMW

0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor

Nice, you get the prize, downloading now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

NycSMart1,

You are correct, the current HP ESXi iso does come with all the agents pre-loaded. It was just not an option prior to the release of the integrated installer.

0 Kudos
MiloDeVries
Contributor
Contributor

I've succesfully installed the bundle on 2 different ESXi machines now. The exact command I used is:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin\vihostupdate.pl" --server --install --bundle d:\temp\hp-esxi4.0uX-bundle-1.0.zip

As far as I'm aware using the HP provided ISO requires a re-install, when using local storage this is non-trivial.

Extra info: Upgrading a HP provided 3.5 ESXi machine resulted in storage monitoring disapearing, installing the offline bundle fixed this, just as it did on a fresh install.

0 Kudos
JohnGibson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great Link, thanks for posting it.

0 Kudos
adiXSG
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed the offline bundle2 or 3 weeks ago without problem. After that, I see the storage health in vSphere Client. But theres another thing wich I want monitor and I can't see: Memory.

Do anyone see the memory health? I have 2 hp dl360 5g Servers - one with hp esxi 4 version installed, other with hp offline bundle patched. Both same issue.

Ideas to get the memory health?

0 Kudos
NycSMart1
Contributor
Contributor

I see the memory, though no idea how to resolve.

0 Kudos
designDATA-PL
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue while working on a project to partially automate ESXi 4 deployments.

The RCLI will only work in READ mode for free versions of ESXi. Even something as simple as RENAMING A VMDK file can't be done via the GUI OR through the RCLI unless you have a license file that you paid for.

My temp workaround was to put the ESXi host in TRIAL MODE to get the initial provisioning done.

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

All,

I made a discovery today with one of the ESXi hosts that would not install this bundle as well as failing to install the PowerPath/VE software.

My ScratchConfig directory was not correct. If you go to Configuration -> Advanced Settings -> ScratchConfig and look at ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation

If you are failing to install because of lack of space errors, review and fix this. Mine was pointed to an internal drive that was not mapped as a vmfs volume.

This does require a reboot to modify

0 Kudos