VMware Cloud Community
dbashyam
Contributor
Contributor

HP Proliant DL585G2/8cores/16GB/72gbSAS

Hi Vmware Experts,

I want to learn vmware and do the certification.  So, I planned to get the second hand HP DL585 G2 server.  I wanted to know does this server support ESXi 5?

Awaiting your kind replies.

Thanks & Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

first thing to learn is to know the important VMware web sites (i.e. http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl) Smiley Wink

With that said, the mentioned server model is not officially supported for vSphere 5 (although it might work). In addition to the server model, it is important that the components (e.g. the RAID controller) are supported too.

Anyway, for learning purposes, I would recommend you get a PC (e.g. I7-2600, 16GB RAM, HDD/SSD) and use VMware Workstation to setup a virtual vSphere environment. With this virtual environment you could configure multiple ESXi hosts as well as e.g. shared storage. And - in the end - a PC is usually less expensive, less noisy and does consume less power than the server hardware. You may take a look at e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab for an example to setup such an environment.

In addition to the required VMware   Certified Professional (VCP) course and some hands on training, you may want to take a look at e.g. VCP5 VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 Study Guide: Exam VCP-510 which has just been released.

André

dbashyam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your answer.  I will try to look in the direction you suggested.

Thanks,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
sapalomera
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos