VMware Cloud Community
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

HP ProLiant ML370 G6 with HP NC375i Integrated Quad Port-Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter not detected under ESXi 5.5.0Update2

I have a HP ProLiant ML370 G6 Server and need to install VMWare ESXi on it.

Checking the HW compatibility list shows that only ESXi 5.1 and lower is listed but not the latest version ESXi 5.5.

Installing ESXi 5.1 went well and everything was working but since my server has 78GB of RAM while ESXi 5.1 only allows 32GB.

Since I don't want to waste all that memory my hope is to get 5.5 to work.

So for it went quite well except for the 4-Port network adapter of the server.

The first  installation failed right away with the message that no supported NIC was detected since ESXi 5.5 did not recognize the "HP NC375i Integrated Quad Port-Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter".

Mounting an additional Intel 82572EI NIC to the server allowed me to run the installation and currently the ESXi Server is up an running with this one additional NIC card.

Unfortunately I need at least two but for performance and fail over reasons better four network adapters so I want to get this 4-Port NIC of the server to work.

Searching for a solution to my NC375i, HP pointed me to an entry "VMware ESXi 5.5 Driver CD for HP HP-branded 1/10GbE Intelligent Ethernet Adapters"

https://my.vmware.com/de/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-QLOGIC-NX_NIC-55636&productId=...

Installing the driver was successful and I see in vSphere Client under Software Components the status for "QLogic net-nx-nic 5.5.636-1OEM.550.0.0.1331820 2013-10-23 05:55:19.000" with status "Normal"

But ESXi5.5 still only shows my single, additional NIC and the NC375i 4-Port NIC is not recognized.

Any ideas what I'm missing or doing wrong?

14 Replies
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
chaplina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution proposed by vlho may resolve your issue.

BUT, from my own experience, and reports from others, I recommend NOT using this adapter for network connectivity with ESXi.

We had many issues with random disconnects, even when using current drivers/firmware, under ESXi 5.1.

We decided to purchase the HP 4 port gigE cards with an Intel chipset for our ESXi hosts, and have not experienced a random disconnect since they were installed and configured in mid-2013.

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vlho,

thanks for the quick answer.

I downloaded and installed the HP custom image and but I ended up with the same situation, ESXi works fine but the 4-Port NIC is not recognized.

Tomorrow I will try to load the aditional driver on top of this image and see what happens.

In any case many thanks, since your link had a newer build, ...Update 2... as the one I downloaded, need to look a bit closer what the difference between your link and my initial download page is.

I'll keep you updated.

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chaplina,

thanks for your hint.

Yes I have seen such posts, but since they where for 5.1 and my version 5.5 did not recognize the NIS at all I ignored them for now.

If I ever get it to work I want to give it a chance since ordering stuff in my company involves always a lot of paperwork.

On the other hand NIC cards are not to expensive and I might end up taking your advice anyways.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi SMSOCS,

try to upgrade the firmware of network card too.

To upgrade the firmware you can boot HP Service Pack for ProLiant DVD.

Download: HP® Servers - Service Pack for ProLiant

0 Kudos
FritzBrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As you know, the ML370 G6 is not on the HP HCL for ESX 5.5.

So no support from there.

Maybe this one is related:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay?javax.portlet....

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello FritzBrause,
as I mentioned above I'm aware that Version 5.5 is not officially supported for my server.

So far I'm running a licensed version 4.1 on an older server but since 4.1 reached EOS I need to replace it with a newer version.

This new server is all I have and since I don't want to waste more than half of my nice memory by using 5.1 (that I tested successfully), I'm hoping to get 5.5 to work.

Thanks for the Link you gave me. As far as I understand HP want me to remove the Cach Module on my NIC card but mine never had one so there is nothing to remove.

Today I'm not in the office but first thing Tomorrow I'll try to follow the advice of vlho to upgrade the firmware.

Hope dies last 😉

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Viho,

it took me a while to get the Service Pack for ProLiant DVD since my server wasalready out of warrenty but it was worth it.

Once I ran the service pack and upgraded all components including the NIC to the latest firmware the network adapter appeared in ESXi 5.5.

Many thanks, now my problem is solved!!!

0 Kudos
gcortes
Contributor
Contributor

SMSOCS, was the NIC the only hardware not supported?  Did ESXi run stable on the DL370 after the firmware upgrade? Which firmware version are you running for the NIC?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Gcortes,

initially I had a bunch of components not up to date but only the Network Adapter caused real problems.

Once I ran the SSP 2014.09 it solved the problem.

Meanwhile I ran several other updates and service packs so I can't tell the firmware version that solved the problem initially. But I can tell that currently the network adapter is running firmware version 5.6.10.1.1.x86_x64 and my latest Service Pack installed is SSP 2015.10.

I hope this helps,

Marc

gcortes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info Marc.  How is the server running with 5.5 after applying the updates?‌

0 Kudos
SMSOCS
Contributor
Contributor

smooth like a baby 🙂

Seriously, I installed some VMware upgrades and as I said tried to keep the HW updated based on the latest HP Service Packs for ProLiant.

So far I didn't had any problem and the server is now up for one Year.

gcortes
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  Much appreciated!!

0 Kudos
NetmanMD
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is really old, but wondering if you still have that CD.  I'm in the same situation.

0 Kudos