VMware Cloud Community
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

HP ProLiant ML150 Gen9 with HBA H240 = slow local datastore ?

Hi,

a few days ago a received a new ProLinat ML150 G9 server. This server comes with the H240 Raid Controller. The onboard B140i controller is disabled.

After installation with the HP custom image 5.5 u2 i got a poor performance on the local datastore. The locial volume = datastore1 is a RAID1 Array with 2 * 1 TB 2,5" disks (7200rpm, 6G SATA, HotPlug).

After reading a lot of postings on different HP server types, i downgraded the HBA driver to 'scsi-hpvsa-5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib' . The performance increased, but is still bad.

The write speed by small blocks is very bad. I could not belive that this is the maximum speed of this new server. Has anyone a similar system running on a better performance?

H240.pngQNAP.png

The left picture is the poor local datastore performance, the right picture is the same server, same VM with datastore on a QNAP with NFS connection. :smileyconfused:

I made the performance checks with only one Windows7-64 Bit VM and ATTO Disk Benchmark 32_247. Nothing else running on this server.

Can somebody help me to find the issue?

Greetings Joachim

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hi joachim

does your raid controller has battery? if not install battery on your raid controller it will improve the write cache and lil of the read cache too

i seen alot of new server slow performance because it doesnt have battery installed

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

No there is no battery and no battery conector on this board.

I am wondering that HP sells this externa controller for better performance. I checked the onboard B140i and the performance is nearly the same.

I think i have to search a new controller with BBWC., 😞

0 Kudos
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i think so

looks like a good hba controller for tape devices

but i cant find any memory cache and battery that would give better performance for raid builds

so yes i think you should look for other controller

unless you going for vsan then i think you get better performance as a passthough controller

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Besides that I wonder if the H240 HBA is making use of the hpvsa driver at all. I think the hpvsa is only used by/for the B140i onboard controller.

0 Kudos
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i check if the server will work with the standard iso. Maybe that solves the problem.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

As per HP the H240 uses the hpsa driver and there was a new version (5.5.0.106-1) released 2 days ago, see http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=7553524&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4166

0 Kudos
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

cykVM thank you for this information.

I installed now the new driver version. But no significant speed changes. :smileycry:

Tomorrow i borrow a P212 raid controller with 256M cache and battery. If this will speed up the server i exchange the H240 controller.

0 Kudos
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

I could not get the P212 working in the ML150 Gen9 server, i tried severel times to boot, but no luck. This controller works fine in a ML110 G7 server.

The UEFI BIOS from the ML150 server did not see the P212. When i switch to legacy mode, the controller and the logical volume is seen but crashes the BIOS. Then the server reboot in UEFI mode :smileyshocked:

I will now look for an other real Array Controller for this server. I keep you informed.

0 Kudos
Ninosx
Contributor
Contributor

hey sonnabendsonnabend, i have exect same problem with same server. if u find solutions pleace tell.

thx...

0 Kudos
sonnabend
Contributor
Contributor

hello Ninosx,

there is no solution with the builtin controller. This hba 240 has no write cache, and is more a software raid controller.

I changed to a smart arry controller p440 with 2 GB FWBC cache modul. Now the speed is fine.

0 Kudos