VMware Cloud Community
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP ProLiant G7 BIOS Setting 'Minimum Processor Idle Power State' Recommended Setting?

I'm trying to see which setting is recommended for this BIOS setting.  My options are "No C-states, C1E, C3 and C6".  C6 is the default.  I have found one post indicated you should set it to C3 here:

http://boerlowie.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/recommended-bios-setting-on-hp-proliant-dl580-g7-for-vsphe...

It appears if you are running AMD it is best to disable it but I will running Intel:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1620316#1620316

There is also a Citrix XenServer KB that recommends you disable it but nothing from VMware.  If anyone else has come across this what you been setting it to with Intel CPUs?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

in this document you there all recomendations of processor settings www.vmware.com/pdf/Perf_Best_Practices_vSphere4.0.pdf  in page 19 all recomendations for processors.

hope help.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't see this setting mentioned in that guide.  Did I miss it?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The Boerlowie's Blog article you refer to is for a DL580 G7. If that is the model you have, and lacking any other contrary documents, I would consider it a descent guide. A DL580 is the Intel version of the server. The AMD version is a DL585.

Languageszh>pl GoogleCE
dobry

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Anything beyond the settings listed in the aforementioned guide I would leave at the default setting.

0 Kudos
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am aware of the difference between the AMD and Intel models.  I have a DL360 G7 but the differences don't apply here.  If people aren't having any issues with leaving it on then it's fine.  The default is C6 which is more efficient than C3 so I don't see why I wouldn't use the C6.  

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The settings for a DL580 may or not be the most appropriate for a DL370 so i wouldn't necessarily use those settings. Have you checked in the HP forums or called HP support?  Will you be using DPM? There were some earlier issues with HP servers going into idle mode and staying in that mode. Check the HP advisories.

0 Kudos
JRedmond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They are mostly same just four sockets on the 580.  I'm going to disable for customers that don't use DPM and enable at C6 for those that do until I read something that convinces me otherwise.  thanks again.

0 Kudos