VMware Cloud Community
Fatboy40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP MSA2324i, new volume / LUN added, cannot be seen by ESX 4.1 hosts (old LUN's work fine)

Hi,

I've a vSphere Essentials Plus 4.1 cluster that's connected to 2x HP MSA2324i SAN arrays, we have 2x hosts and both can see current volumes / LUN's absolutely fine (vMotion and offline VM migration all work as expected). I'm starting a project of consolidating the virtual disks / volume on the 2x SAN's, however a new volume I've created on a SAN cannot be seen by either host.

The new volume has been setup exactly as the others, but of course with a unique LUN for the explicit mapping, but when scanning the iSCSI HBA's the new LUN is never found 😞

I was wondering if any others have also had this happen to them and are aware of why this may be occurring ?.

(Also this is at a business I have just joined, this is my third week, and they's had no VMware subscription on their cluster since 2012 otherwise I'd be logging a VMware support call, in the process of getting the sub back up and running)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Okay I believe that might be the issue, I ran into this recently- maximum LUN ID is 255, change the LUN ID to a number lower than 255 and try it again, let us know how you get on!

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

View solution in original post

9 Replies
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

So when you go to Add Storage after the rescan does it not show you anything in the 'Select Disk/LUN' window?

Might be worth double-checking that the new LUN has been exported/presented to the hosts correctly, also what LUN ID did you give the new LUN?

vM

-----------------------

-----------------------

vMustard.com

0 Kudos
EmanuelAlamo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could be something on zoning, but, let's start taking a look on your LUN MASK.

Please, access the host by ssh and post the result of the command:

# esxcli storage core claimrule list

Regards from Brazil, Emanuel Álamo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VSP+VTSP+VCP-DCV+VCAP-DCA AirWatch Expert+NCDA+MCSA+MCSE ------------------------------------------------------------------------ https://br.linkedin.com/in/emanuel-álamo-diógenes-1a662b27/en
0 Kudos
Fatboy40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, no new LUN's shown after a rescan 😞

I used an unused LUN number, 301

0 Kudos
Fatboy40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using PuTTY to SSH, ran the command as required, no info was returned (just went to a new line).

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Okay I believe that might be the issue, I ran into this recently- maximum LUN ID is 255, change the LUN ID to a number lower than 255 and try it again, let us know how you get on!

vM

-----------------------

-----------------------

vMustard.com

EmanuelAlamo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You would receive a result like this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 11.24.25 AM.png

Regards from Brazil, Emanuel Álamo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VSP+VTSP+VCP-DCV+VCAP-DCA AirWatch Expert+NCDA+MCSA+MCSE ------------------------------------------------------------------------ https://br.linkedin.com/in/emanuel-álamo-diógenes-1a662b27/en
0 Kudos
EmanuelAlamo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, in version 4.1 the command is:

# esxcli corestorage claimrule list

0 Kudos
Fatboy40
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bingo, we have a winner !.

I changed the LUN to 149, just playing around at the moment, and it's then shown after a rescan Smiley Happy

martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Good news, wasted an afternoon on that one myself, it'll stick in the memory now at least Smiley Happy