VMware Cloud Community
monkeymagik
Contributor
Contributor

HP ESXi 4.1 Install - CIM providers

I've installed the HP build of ESXi 4.1 on a HP ProLiant ML350 G5 and in the health status section it has come up showing the drive and RAID array status ok, which is good. However it seems to be missing the standard health providers that appear with the offical VMWare download. Specifically it's missing the PSU status and temperature. The main one I want is the PSU... I'd like to know if a PSU dies.

Are these CIM's available to download or can you enable them somehow? Or are you better off to use the offical VMWare downlaod and install the HP CIM bundle separately?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can download the offline bundle from the HP Drivers & Support web site.

- select "Download drivers and software (and firmware)" and enter your server type "ML350 G5"

- select you server from the list

- select "VMware ESX/ESXi 4.1" (make sure the language is set to "English (American)")

there you will find the latest HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 4.1

André

0 Kudos
monkeymagik
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried this and it's currently installed. However the offline bundle seems to be what is integrated into the HP ESXi build. What I need are the standard CIM providers that appear in the standard VMWare build of ESXi.

I have two ML350's the first I used the standard VMWare build to loan to a client to virtualize there physical server. This one has counters for CPU, PSU, system temp and fan speed appearing in the health tab. While they were running our loan server I upgraded the hardware on my clients server and installed ESXi... this time I used the HP build of ESXi. This one only has array and CPU status... the ability to monitor for failed disks was my primary concern... however I still need to be able to tell if a PSU is dead.

It seems if you use the offical ESXi build and then install the HP offline bundle, you'll get all the counters you need and then be able to install HP SIM to subscribe to the counters. However if you use the HP ESXi build, there isn't anyway to install the useful stuff they stripped out.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial post. I'm not aware of a "VMware Standard CIM provider bundle".

André.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There is no separate offline bundle with the Standard VMware CIM providers that I am aware of. If there is a benefit to the standard ones then you will need to start with the standard VMware install and add the HP bundle.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are finding the VMware canned CIM shows you those objects and the HP canned does not then you may have an issue with your install or the ISO you used for installation. We have found quite the opposite - when we use the canned VMware ISO we see "x" number of objects; when we use the HP ISO, we see "x" plus a whole bunch other monitors. If you can, try re-installing and if that doesn't work, contact HP (hoping you have maintenance with that server).

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The HCL for the ML350 G5 lists a patch requirement.

2. This server uses a processor series that requires a 4.0 U1 patch (Release Name - ESX400-201002001, Bulletin ID ESX400-201002401-BG / Release Name ESXi400-201002001, Bulletin ID ESXi400-201002401-BG) or newer for full support.

I don't know what the patch fixes and whether it is related but worth a look.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos