VMware Cloud Community
Mast3rNe0
Contributor
Contributor

HP ESXI - Extending ESXI Array on HP Server

am trying to see how to expand a disk array on a HP ESXI 5.5 server. We are adding a 6th drive to this current RAID6 array.

I found the commands to do it with the HPACUCLI but can't make sense or want to confirm the commands I have are correct.

This is my current array -

Smart Array P420i in Slot 0 (Embedded)  

Internal Drive Cage at Port 1I, Box 1, OK

Internal Drive Cage at Port 2I, Box 1, OK

array A (SAS, Unused Space: 0 MB)

logicaldrive 1 (410.1 GB, RAID 6, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SAS, 146 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SAS, 146 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:3 (port 1I:box 1:bay 3, SAS, 146 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 1I:1:4 (port 1I:box 1:bay 4, SAS, 146 GB, OK)

physicaldrive 2I:1:5 (port 2I:box 1:bay 5, SAS, 146 GB, OK)

SEP (Vendor ID PMCSIERA, Model SRCv8x6G) 380

Tags (3)
13 Replies
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There should a GUI you can boot into to help expand that logical disk. https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03510253

Once completed, rescan the storage: Performing a rescan of the storage on an ESX/ESXi host (1003988) | VMware KB

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just an additional note: In case you only have a single logical volume on the RAID, i.e. the VMFS datastore is a partition on the installation volume, you may need to grow the datastore from the command line. For details see Growing a local datastore from the command line in vSphere ESXi (2002461) | VMware KB

André

0 Kudos
Mast3rNe0
Contributor
Contributor

Does the gui even work for a ESXI server? I used it for physical servers.

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, but the GUI is only available if the server is down, then one can access the GUI (depending on the server firmware) - or start it from a removable device.

As long as ESXi is running, you have to use the HPACUCLI interface. This differs for different server hardware and different ESXi builds. So in fact you have to look at the very version, which is running on the host. And of course, that is only available, if installed on the host. But the included help is quite clear, so after you know, which arrays are configured, changes to those arrays are quite easily doable.

0 Kudos
Mast3rNe0
Contributor
Contributor

Ok well what else can I do to expand the raid array using the CLI.

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You first add your physical drive to your server.

Then you should take a look at your config via "hpacucli ctrl slot=0 show config"

If everything is ok and you can see your newly added drive as unassigned you can go ahead

with "hpacucli ctrl slot=0 logicaldrive 1 add drives=allunassigned"

That should do it.

I have one server with the same integrated controller and version of ACU CLI 9.40.12.0 and SoulAPI  6.2.25.0 . There it would work with these commands.

HTH

Mast3rNe0
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks pwolf.

0 Kudos
Mast3rNe0
Contributor
Contributor

Wolf - Do you happen to know how long it took you to add the storage?

Just want to see my time frame for this server might be. I assume overnight at least.

Also once I add the drive with your two commands, I assume I just need to expand the disk from the ESXI client storage section.

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think, that should be a matter of some minutes. But if you are doing that online there is no time frame to this action as your server will work as before during the expansion. Of course, if you are heavily using your disks during expansion, it will need more time, but your RAID is not very large, so you need not expect any long running expansions.

0 Kudos
MasterNe0
Contributor
Contributor

Wolf. I added the 6th drive to the array. It seems to have added it but the storage is still 410.0 MAX, how do i fix this?

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the output of "show config" ? Can you post that here ?

0 Kudos
Tannu86
Contributor
Contributor

hello, I have the same problem on ESXI of one of my clients. i added 2 disks in server in production(can't interrupt work activities) using following commands : ./ssacli ctrl slot=0 logicaldrive 1 add drives=allunassigned" then ./ssacli ctrl slot=0 ld 1 modify size=max forced . but nothing on ESXI my datastore is always 3.60Tb instead it should increase to 5.04Tb . have you solved it? thanks a lot for the help .

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The post is very old, you should open another one so you can get answers.
In the following link I attach the HPE Smart Storage Administrator User Guide, read very carefully to the section Expanding an array (Operations 74)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03909334

you must wait for the disks to be added to the Array and confirm that the disks have been added, and only then proceed with the expansion.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos