VMware Cloud Community
simonadams
Contributor
Contributor

HP DL580 G7's running ESX 4.1 Stability Issues ?

Has anyone had problems with DL580 G7′s running ESX 4.1 ?

We’re getting crashes on all 6 new hosts.  Originally they were ASR'ing but occasionally that was causing problems due to a lock on the VMDK files and so we disables ASR along the lines recomended here -> http://boerlowie.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/recommended-bios-setting-on-hp-proliant-dl580-g7-for-vsphe...

Now all VM's go down and Hosts display message on ILO console; “1:04:10:06.956 cpu0:4096)NMI: 2450: LINT motherboard interrupt (2173 forwarded so far). This is a hardware problem; please contact your hardware vendor.”

We have opened a call with HP but they don’t seem to have heard of it despite the fact its happening on all hosts every couple of days… and all NIC's etc are on compatability list...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

normally crash with PSOD (purple screen of death) would be hardware related issues. i would suggest generating a support with VMware support. They are pretty good at finding the fault via the logs on the culprit that causes the crash ..

0 Kudos
IRivera
Contributor
Contributor

Have you resolved this issue?  I am having same issue with DL580 G7 build 4.1 381591.  This is my third time calling tech-support on PSOD issue.

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you installed the HP Insight plugin for ESX 4.1? This will setup a website on your ESX box that will show you hardware messages.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4194638&...

Warning: Installing this plugin will put your host into maintenance mode and reboot the server.

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos
IRivera
Contributor
Contributor

Running ESXi 4.1?  Is there a HP Insight plugin for ESXi?

0 Kudos
simonadams
Contributor
Contributor

The solution was to run the latest firmware ISO from HP - I think its the BIOS itself that fixes the issue but worth doing it all while you're at it...

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are running ESXi, there is a HP specific version of ESXi 4.1 that let's you send out insight hardware alerts and messages. There is a plugin for ESX 4.1 that puts the insight webpage on the server and will let you check hardware messages and alerts. After you install the plugin, go to:

https://servername.domain.com:2381

Once there enter in a local user account with root access to get all of your hardware statuses. The webpage is only for ESX.

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
0 Kudos
IRivera
Contributor
Contributor

thanks.  I will download and install ESXi 4.1 HP im to have a better view into HW.  VMware support has diagnosed this issue to be an EMC PowerPath /VE issue.  I am contacting EMC for a hotfix.

0 Kudos
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are welcome. HP ESXi needs HP System Insight Manager installed somewhere to get the hardware info:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html

The plain version is free, but there are addons that cost.

0 Kudos
nolent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's most likely the RAID controller firmware and an incompatibility / bug with how it interacts with Fiber or other HBA's. I have had the issue on a few HP boxes, mainly DL380G7's though, but also some blades BL460G7. It's the P411 or P411i firmware, but go ahead and upgrade all firmwares. And BTW, the issue is not just with VMWare, I have had BSOD's in Windows as well as Kernel Panic's on various Red Hat Linux flavours. After it was determined to be the RAID firmware. Strangely it was a BSOD on a windows 2003 box in storeport.sys which led me to this discovery after several really frustrating support calls to HP. I upgraded RAID controller firmware across the board on ALL my systems and the problem dissapeared overnight.

0 Kudos