VMware Cloud Community
xooops
Contributor
Contributor

HP DL380 or DL385

Hello VMware community

We are planning to extend our ESX Infrastructure with an additional cluster based on 3 hosts.

At the moment all host are running on AMD processors.

I read a lot of AMD vs. Intel but at the moment I'm not sure if AMD is still the best decision regarding performance.

What do you think about it?

regards, Sven

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

intel nehelem would have a better edge. anyway you could view comparison from vmmark results.

http://www.vmware.com/a/vmmark/

0 Kudos
xooops
Contributor
Contributor

there is only one result on the vmwark page ?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

sorry that was the results for version 2 in which was pretty limited. here is for the v1:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark/v1/results.html

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear friend, before choosing between the Intel and AMD, you must to know that, u cannot cluster two host; one with intel base cpu and one with amd base cpu.

on the other hand, changing the infrastracture from AMD Based Systems to Intel Based Systems is very expensive.

With this hint, if you want to change the cpu infrastructure, it is better to know that AMD works properly on some conditions and Intel works properly on some other conditions, if you have not special condition for using CPU optimizely, as i think intel is a better solution as it comes with newer technology and partner with VMware too.

If this is hepful or correct, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

0 Kudos
xooops
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Saman

I know, we would like build a new Cluster in the same Datacenter. Each cluster have the same CPU Familiy.

regards, Sven

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the vm mark shows that intel is a superior machine of course at a higher course. so it really depends on how deep is your wallet.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear friend, sorry if i misunderstood.

Let's try the last, go to bios of the server, on processor page(the place that u enabled the Virtualization of cpu), there is another option i think restriction or someting like that, disable it, and see if it works or not?

If this is hepful or correct, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want the real position of the feature on BIOS, tell me to reboot my server and check it.

0 Kudos