VMware Cloud Community
RFields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP DL380 -> Finding Hardware Serial Number of HP DL380 Server from 2008 R2 VM

Hi,

I am working on a VMWare ESXi configuration that requires I obtain the hardware serial number of a HP DL380 from the VMWare Guest.  The one issue I have is the guest will not know the IP address of the VMWare Host.

Here is the configuration:  HP DL380 (Running VMWare ESXi 5.5) -> VMWare ESXi Guest VM (The VM needs to obtain the serial number from the DL380, but won't know the IP Address of the host and can not reach it via the network.  Can this be accomplished in another way?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathanp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well.. you will need to do that via a proxy..

If you have access to vCenter from the VM, you may look at a powercli script for that, that would grep it..

If that VMs cannot reach the host at all, then you need another "computer" that can reach the ESX  host and your VM,  to do that request for you and pick it up from the other "computer".

If that is not an option.. then you need to look at the order invoice.. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well.. you will need to do that via a proxy..

If you have access to vCenter from the VM, you may look at a powercli script for that, that would grep it..

If that VMs cannot reach the host at all, then you need another "computer" that can reach the ESX  host and your VM,  to do that request for you and pick it up from the other "computer".

If that is not an option.. then you need to look at the order invoice.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RFields
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Jonathan, that clears it up. 

0 Kudos