VMware Cloud Community
getut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP DL370 G6 0.00 B capacity

I have a brand new HP DL370 G6 with a Smart Array P410i controller and 16 300GB SAS drives.

I am trying to do a fresh install of ESXi 4.1 on the machine and have created a single RAID 50 volume using all drives except for 1 as spare. The volume size is around 3 + TB but every time I try to install, ESXi tells me it sees the volume but there is 0.00 B available and that the selected disk does not meet the minimum space requirements for ESXi 4.1.0. Please select a disk that has a capacity greater than 943718400 bytes.

I have been able to sucessfully install if I create a 2 disk RAID 1 volume but then I was in the same boat. Even once ESXi was installed, I couldn't get it to see the rest of the disk space in a volume.

I have read about a 2TB limit, but that limit seemed to be per virtual disk, not for the actual storage location OF those virtual disks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The 2 TB (actually 2 TB - 512 B) applies to LUN sizes as well. If you can create a single array and then break the storage into smaller LUNs less than 2 TB. You can then join the LUNs after using extents to create a datastore that uses all of your local storage.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The 2 TB (actually 2 TB - 512 B) applies to LUN sizes as well. If you can create a single array and then break the storage into smaller LUNs less than 2 TB. You can then join the LUNs after using extents to create a datastore that uses all of your local storage.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
getut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick answer. One additional question though. If I set up 2 LUN's and ESXi has to install on 1 of the 2 LUN's, then how can I reconfigure it to join them together after the fact?

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You would have to add an extent, read "Increase VMFS Datastores" from the ESXi Configuration Guide which is available at

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f-10

VCP3, VCP4, HPCP, HP UX CSA

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As the other posters mentioned, you could add the second LUN as an extent to the VMFS datastore on the first LUN.

However I wouldn't do that. I would create 3 LUNs. One for the Hypervisor (ESXi) with ~10GB (5GB for ESXi and 5 GB for a small datastore to be used for e.g. ISO-Images) and two LUNs on the remaining disk space for use as two separate VMFS datastores.

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

BTW: Make sure your Smart Array P410i controller is equipped with BBWC or FBWC. This is very important for disk performance.

André

0 Kudos