VMware Cloud Community
trep-
Contributor
Contributor

HP ACU / Management with ESXi 4.

Hi,

I'm using ESXi 4 in a test environment right now. I just started working with ESXi (used to work wirth VMWare Server 2), so i'm a beginner.

ESXi 4 is currently installed ona Proliant DL380 G5. I've always managed HP server with SIM and ACU and i wanted to do the same with ESXi 4. Therefore, i'm looking for (beginner) documentation on how to install agents on ESXi 4 to see the health of the server and manage the RAID controller.

Best regards,

trep

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

for hardware monitoring in HP servers (SIM/CIM) you can download & use the custom HP esxi 4.0 image from the vmware site. In the last step before to download the .iso image, you can chose between HP, Dell and IBM custom images.

Only officially supported HP servers should run with this custom image (.iso). If the HP server isn't officially supported, maybe the vanilla esxi 4.0 image must be used to get a successful esxi's installation. But all the custom HP hardware monitoring will be lost.

Anyway, you can chose to download the HP custom esxi 4.0 image from HP. Theoretically both images are the same.

In a custom HP esxi 4.0 install, you should see hardware monitoring (fans, temperatures, raid status, etc) if you check the hardware status using the vSphere client to connect to the esxi 4.0 HP host.

IMHO i think it isn't possible to run ACU in the esxi 4.0. Anyway consult some HP vendor.

Hope it helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
psharp
Contributor
Contributor

You will not be able to run the HP ACU on ESXi since there is no service console for you to install the ACU into. Back in 3.5 I was able to get the ACU installed on a straight ESX box, but it is not supported and would only recognize local storage controllers. Your best bet is to go with the custom HP ESXi image that Pablo mentioned.

0 Kudos
trep-
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies !

Let's say ESXi 4 is already installed and i want to add the HP management component, is it possible to do so ? I understand it might be much more easier for me to reinstall the whole thing using the vendor image but it won't be possible for the moment but i'll definitly give a try to this !

Best regards,

trep

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

you welcome. Smiley Happy

Please award the helpful replies. This is the way to award the forum users that helps others.

You can download the HP ESXi offline bundle containing the CIM providers you need from here.

You can use the vSphere host update utility contained in the vSphere client install or use vShpere CLI as explained here. Remember that for to be able to use the CLI you need a paid licensed ESXi

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
alexmeng
Contributor
Contributor

We have exactly the same problem. We solved it in this way:

0. provide a centralized storage and a spare sytem(let's call it system B)

1. storage vmotion to a centralized storage;

2. vmotion VMs from system A to system B;

3. reboot system A and expand local storage via raid FW, while system B providing service by centralized storage;

4. vmotion VMs from B back to A;

5. storage vmotion from centralized storage back to system A local storage.

0 Kudos