VMware Cloud Community
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

[HELP] - nvidia grid vib install fails

I'm trying to install the nvidia grid vib in my esxi 6.5 for a grid k2.

I'm following the instructions from nvidia to the letter but nope...

I run the following command:

esxcli software vib install -v /etc/vib/NVIDIA-vGPU-kepler-VMware_ESXi_6.5_Host_Driver_367.134-1OEM.650.0.0.4598673.vib

I get the following error:

[InstallationError]

Error -3 while decompressing data: invalid literal/lengths set

vibs = NVIDIA_bootbank_NVIDIA-kepler-VMware_ESXi_6.5_Host_Driver_367.134-1OEM.650.0.0.4598673

please refer to the log file for more details.

What is the problem? this is a fresh esxi install. I just downloaded the vib directly from NVIDIA I expect that following the instructions would lead to completion...

Thanks for any help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to install it on esxi 6.7 apparently I found on an NVIDIA forum that 6.5 in some builds has a problem with VIBs being a touch too big to deal with.

6.7 managed to install... at this point if I had a card I would be someone

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you put the host in the "Maintenance Mode" before executing esxcli software ...?

Try with "install -d" and address to the .zip file instead of .vib file ...

Also, change the path of your file and copy it in another directory and run the command again.

Then please check the /var/log/esxupdate.log file to investigate any related information about your issue ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to install it on esxi 6.7 apparently I found on an NVIDIA forum that 6.5 in some builds has a problem with VIBs being a touch too big to deal with.

6.7 managed to install... at this point if I had a card I would be someone

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can find the related VIB file for any Tesla, grid, ... in NVIDIA website based on your ESXi host version. Just some of them are free and some of them need to have an NVIDIA premium account ... However, I think you want to use this device for the VDI environment, is it correct?!

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes I want to do that I have the required license and stuff but I want the latest version of ESXi and vCenter of course.

I'm just now rebuilding the cluster with the addition of a third server (DL380G8) and I want to build a quick vSan HA cluster I don't need FFT greater then 1 in general in the cluster the VMs that run are not vital to our business so Smiley Happy

I want to use something inexpensive because the only machines that need acceleration are the drawing machines and they have at the moment phisical workstations with quadro p400s and k620s.

I wanted to stay with nvidia but the only free one as you said is the grid k1 and k2... which on their site they say is supported only until esxi 6.5...

now I managed to install it on 6.7 do you think it will cause problems? do you think I can even stretch it to 7.0? I have the license for 7.0 at the moment...

0 Kudos