VMware Cloud Community
jwc1972
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HELP no space on Server

Hello

We have exi 4.0 installed on an hp server with 120gb of free space. I have created a virtual machine with 53gb of Space but when i log on the server it says the drive is 8gb ? I don't understand why this is?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Guest is the virtual machine, Host is the physical server which is hosting virtual machines.. For increasing the size of disk of virtual machine...Follow the below KB...

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007266

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FredericPerrin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How is the server partitionned ? How did you manage to create a 53GB VM on a 8GB disk ?

In the vSphere Client, select your host, go to the "Configuration" tag, then the "Storage" link in the "Hardware" box. Select "Add Storage..." then "Disk/Lun", and make sure that the rest of the big disk doesn't appear there.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I understand you have ESXi4 with 120GB free space as local disk. You have created a VM of 53GB....Till here its clear....

What do you mean by " When I log on the Server"....Are you logging into host or Guest....?

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
jwc1972
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I don't understand @ the best of Times. I ran vsphere convert on two live machines. Then I creates a new vmware machine for windows server 2003 which i join to our domain, then i notice it did not have a lot of disk space, so i shut the machine down then is configuaration tab I increaesed The limit to 53gb, then I restarted the machine I thought the new disk would be 53gb but it was 8gb still. What the diff between a Host or a guest? I have installed VMtools on the three server is that correct?

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Guest is the virtual machine, Host is the physical server which is hosting virtual machines.. For increasing the size of disk of virtual machine...Follow the below KB...

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007266

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

I don't understand @ the best of Times. I ran vsphere convert on two live machines. Then I creates a new vmware machine for windows server 2003 which i join to our domain, then i notice it did not have a lot of disk space, so i shut the machine down then is configuaration tab I increaesed The limit to 53gb, then I restarted the machine I thought the new disk would be 53gb but it was 8gb still. What the diff between a Host or a guest? I have installed VMtools on the three server is that correct?

Hi,

Totally three Virtual machines in that ESX Server Right?. what is total Virtual Machines RAM Size?

e-g:- VM01-> 12 GB RAM, VM02-> 10GB RAM & VM03 16 GB RAM

when you power on the three VM's your VMFS datastore occupied 38 GB(121016)

when you power on the VM that RAM(VSWAP) saved in the DATASTORE.

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D
jwc1972
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All

Thank for your replies, allways nice to repsonse back from people how know what their doing. What I did was convert The machine with the disk of 8gb to a 40gb hard disk drive which seems to have work. Is that best practice guide for increasing the size of an guest operrating system

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes it is, and its best way of handling disk issues.

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,