VMware Cloud Community
rdulux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HELP: Unable to find the vmdk file from the local storage - use an existing virtual disk

Hi,

Version: ESXi 5.5

Server HP

Hardware- Storage local - 2 raid cards - 1) for ESXi os 2) for the VM

1) I added the 2 files OVF and VMDK (12 giga) from the Vsphere Client GUI to the storage 2 --> Browse Datastore and an upload of my files - No issues

2) I m trying to create a VM Win2K8R2 and when i want to use an existing virtual disk -  i m starting the Disk file Path by Browse - i go to my storage2 - it is empty - Nothing - i m not able to use the VMDK file !!!

If you can give me advice or solution, it would be great

Ps: I use chmod on my 2 files, so it is RW for anybody

Best Regards

Rv

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

assuming you are trying to do this with a default OVF, this is actually what you have to expect. Rather than uploading the files to a datatore, import the OVF from the vSphere Client's "File" menu.

André

PS: Discussion moved from CloudCred to VMware ESXi 5

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

assuming you are trying to do this with a default OVF, this is actually what you have to expect. Rather than uploading the files to a datatore, import the OVF from the vSphere Client's "File" menu.

André

PS: Discussion moved from CloudCred to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
nabeelsayegh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To add to Andre's response, in order for VMware to 'identify' that you have a VMDK in a directory, it is looking for a vmdk descriptor file...not just the flat file.  Importing the OVF template takes care of this for you (by generating one so it can be used by ESX).

0 Kudos
rdulux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André

0 Kudos