VMware Cloud Community
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[HELP] - HP DL380G8 530FLR SFP+ Not working as intended...

hello community!

I've encountered a weird thing today...

My new home lab host just came and I'm super excited about it.

I have a problem though I couldn't load esxi because it kept complaining about not having nics available... obviously not true because the server came with a 530flr sfp+ card installed and seemingly working.

I loaded linux on the server and with lspci the card was there listed but due to strict time I had no chance of doing any more testing in linux...

I brought home for test a 4 port 1Gbps card and with that in the server I managed to load esxi 7.0

The fun begins here though...

This card received names vmnic2 3 4 and 5...

0 and 1 were not visible...

I did "esxcfg-nics -l" and same story...

I did lspci and as expected it listed as linux did the 2 nics on the 530flr... with vmnic0 and vmnic1 listed next to them. See picture attached for reference.

From compatibility matrix I know the card is compatible.

I downloaded from there the driver and did an esxcli software vib install but it skipped all vibs probably because already present in the machine...

My idea at this point is maybe a firmware issue... but I have no idea how to check what version is there and/or how to flash a newer one from esxcli...

Someone has ever incurred in such problems?

Thanks for any help!

Fabio

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Go to the HCL, enter the PCIID and Vendor ID of that nic and see whats comming back. You need the right FW on the card and the right driver within ESXi.

Do you have use the HPE ESXi ISO?

Iam not sure if the G8 is certified for 7.0. You may try 6.7 instead.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
x007alfa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joerg thanks for your answer!

I did that it's where I found the drivers that esxcli wouldn't want to install...

Is there a guide on how to flash a firmware on this thing?

I tried the HPE official but even under ubuntu from terminal where I could see the card in LSPCI the update executable just wouldn't run because it said there was no compatible device...

0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi, i had similar problem as you on dell server, i didnt see any 10GbE port in ESXi.

Intel X520 10 GbE not loaded in VMware ESXi 6.0 - tomaskalabis.com

firstly please update server firmware, you can use HP iso.

Here is my old post about it.

How to update HPE Proliant server firmware using HPE SUM

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

BTW, ESXi 6.5 U3 is the last supported version on G8 HW. Not sure if this will be causing you the issue but it's good to know.

Index of /hpq/recipes

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

As long as the official HPE update tools dont identify the card you should not wast time with ESXi and this card.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos