VMware Cloud Community
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED installing Windows Server 2008 R2

We have a VMWare ESXi 5.0.0 (build 504890) host and are running into problems installing a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM. When booting off a DVD to install Windows, we get a "HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" error and the VM reboots.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Oliver

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would upgrade the ESX host to 1489271.  Then, I think I would feel comfortable using the VM in production.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
hpreyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible that it is an OEM customized DVD?

Could you go an try to redownload the image from your Microsoft portal or another known to be good source?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is NX/XD enabled in the host BIOS?

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ hpreyers - yes, it's a downloaded ISO from Microsoft Action Pack.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ jmattson - unfortunately, I can't check the host BIOS without rebooting... or is there a way to check this from my vSphere client?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please upload the vmware.log file for the failing VM (as an attachment).

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Attached all log files. Funnily enough, I started my VM again to see which log file was the latested in order to post... now the VM boots from the DVD & I can start the Windows setup. This is the first time in about 10 attempts - nothing has changed, the question is why? Also, is my VM safe to use productively?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

NX/XD is enabled.  I don't see anything that would explain the failures.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have managed to install Windows OK, with several reboots, without failure. Do you think it is safe to use this VM as a productive system? Is it worth updating my VMware host 5.0.0 (build 504890) to 1489271 (KB2065814 - Release name ESXi500-201401001)?

Thanks again for your help.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would upgrade the ESX host to 1489271.  Then, I think I would feel comfortable using the VM in production.

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Should I update straight to 1489271 - is this a cumulative update? My version is dated 11/03/2011 & build 1489271 is dated 01/23/2014. There have also been an update01 through update03 - do I need to do these updates first? Finally, before the updates, should I make a complete backup of my Host (i.e. copy also VMs away) and what about my config?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
eversys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@ jmattson - thanks for your help!

0 Kudos