ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  HA not moving all VMs off of isolated host

Posted Apr 26, 2012 01:54 PM

Hi all,

we have a strange error within our HA-enabled cluster.

One of the hosts became unresponsive (network up but no SSH to host anymore, no login over console it just hangs). VMs where marked not respsonding but are still active and running.

Instead of rebooting the host by powering off and manually restarting the VMs afterwards we thought we could simulate an Host isolation by plugging the cables for Service console 1 and 2. Ok, nifty idea and actually the host was recognized as isolated and vsphere started to move off some vms and restarting them somewhere else in the cluster.

All of a sudden HA just stopped moving the remaining VMs off the host! Now they just sit there as not responding though they actually run fine. now we have replugged the cables to the NICs but ofcourse the host stays as not responding until I reboot it.

I still don't want to reboot the host before all VMs are moved off. Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: HA not moving all VMs off of isolated host

Posted Apr 26, 2012 02:15 PM

Might be worth checking that DNS is ok between vcenter and the host, try pinging the fqdn of the host from vcenter and make sure you get back a valid response and that that mac address is also what you expect it to be. To me it sounds like a DNS issue but the only fly in the oinment of my thoughts is ssh not working as you should be able to ssh into the host by IP, I guess that is as long as something else isn't stompting of the managament ports IP address.