VMware Cloud Community
jrgalleg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HA doens´t work if poweroff from DCUI???

Hello,

I was doing some tests in my customer environment. We have a cluster, 6 ESXI 6.1 U3.

When I connect to the DCUI and I poweroff the ESXi all the virtual machines running in this server poweroff and move to another ESXi host, but they don´t power on. My customer complains because he says that HA is not acceptable. I think it´s the normal way but I didn´t find any evidence.

If you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is how it's supposed to work. HA doesn't protect from someone executing a controlled, intentional shutdown operation. It protects against a hard or unexpected shutdown. If you want to see HA in operation, do not use a shutdown command. Instead, go to your server's IPMI solution and execute a power off operation. The host will fail and HA will restart any running VMs on other available hosts.

0 Kudos
jrgalleg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Really appreciate your answer but... I would like to send to my customer any vmware official link, any official evidence.

Could you suggest me any VMware document, link...

Thanks

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure you can get a document that says powering off a vm won't turn on HA. Take a look at the below link though, its a bit older but I think its still valid

VMware Knowledge Base

Method 3 says the same thing as before, you need to power of the host from the ipmi so its unexpected.

0 Kudos
jrgalleg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I want to say to my customer that this test is not valid to check HA.

I mean, if i poweorff one ESXi from the DCUI the virtual machines will remain poweroff. They will not `poweron in another ESXi host.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Have you read the documentation for yourself regarding High Availability within this version of vSphere? If not, that's the first thing you should do.

0 Kudos