VMware Cloud Community
BrendanMarmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HA - Hosts in isolation / DS heartbeating query

I'm playing around with HA to see what happens to online vms when we break  the network.

When I cause a fault on the management network the host goes into a 'Network Isolated' state then disconnects "host.com not responding"

Now I would have thought that HA would say, host x is not responding, I still have DS heartbeats, best I move the vms off to another host, however the online vms just sit there carrying on as normal on the now dead to vCenter host.

If we were to have an instance where a network admin smoked a live trunk port and knocked a host offline, how can we grab the affected vms and push them to another host? Should our default isolation response be shutdown, then we manually bring it back up on another host?

Datastore heartbeating, we have set the cluster to "select any of the cluster datastores". Under cluster status, Heartbeat Datastores tab, I can see the elected DSs used for heartbeating, however unlike Duncan's, yellow-bricks article, we have nothing under "Hosts using Selected Datastores for Heartbeating"

Whats up?

Cheers

Brendan

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"The host isolation response determines what happens when a host in an HA cluster loses its console network connection but continues running." - from the help file

host isolation response is "leave powered on" is the default.

since the datastore is still accessible HA is guessing that the line might come back, rather than kill any tasks the vms have.

there is no "migrate the vms because the virutal vmk failed"

either the host is donw (no heartbeats for datastore either) or its not.

if you want it to come up when your management network goes down then shutdown would porbably be your best reposnse.

but you would need to turn on manually

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos