VMware Cloud Community
jvigil
Contributor
Contributor

Guests on ESXi 4 shutdown

HP DL 380 dual QC's w/12GB RAM

I just did my first install of ESXi 4 today on this brand new server. I then installed a couple 2k8r2 DC's and a 2K8 FS to mess with. Everything went together quite nicely with vSphere.

Then I fired up about half a dozed vm's (on my workstation) that I had build some time ago with Sun's Virtual Box and started joining them to the new DC's (on the ESXi server). My local workstation (with vSphere running) bogged down hard- as to be expected, and a few minutes later when I couldn't join on of the vm's to the domain, I noticed that all of the VM's I had built in ESXi had shutdown! There were plenty of resources available on the stand alone HP.

I shut all the Sun VM's down. Restarted the ESXi VM's and repeated with the same result. When firing up the VM's with Virtual Box on the workstation, vSphere goes into a "not responding" mode and after the workstation cpu's stop being pegged and I go look at ESXi it shows that the VM's are off.

Looking through the Event log on the servers shows no 6008 event!! The "Events" tab in ESXi shows that the VM was shutdown, and the NIC time shows that the VM has booted, in addition to me being able to see the boot up process from the console.

What is going on? If vSphere stops responding, does it shutdown the ESXi VM's? Even if my workstation, running vSphere were to crash, I would expect that the VM's on the ESXi box would continue to run.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

-ESX noob

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jvigil
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos