VMware Cloud Community
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest won't boot from ISO on NFS mount

Hi, I have VSphere 4.1 running and I am having an issue with the ISO files I store on our NAS NFS mount be accessible to the guest VMs.  The client can see the mount and browse it, create files/folders etc. but when I go into the settings of a new Windows Guest and pick an ISO file for it to install from it appears to accept the settings but when you boot the guest it does not boot off of the ISO.  I have to basically mount it from my desktop via the client to get windows installed on the VM.  All the permissions look okay on the NAS side as I can access everything but wondering what might be causing this?

I set a seperate IP on a sepeate VKernel port group so it is not sharing mgmt or vmotion settings...same as I used to do with 4.0 which works fine.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

It is not the common problem with the "Connected" checkbox on the VM cdrom not being enabled?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The CDROM is "connected".  Is there a typical setup when connected NFS storage to 4.1 ?  I am not sure why this is happening on these ESXi 4.1 hosts.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

HCC wrote:

Is there a typical setup when connected NFS storage to 4.1 ?

No, just like earlier versions. The vmkernel IP has to have at least Read access to the NFS store with the ISOs. If you can do "Browse datastore" from vSphere Client it is working.

What will happen when you boot the VM with the ISO mounted in the virtual cd-rom?

0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It jumps basically to a PXE boot screen in BIOS and I have tried putting the CD as the first boot option in the BIOS of the VM.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

HCC wrote:

It jumps basically to a PXE boot screen in BIOS and I have tried putting the CD as the first boot option in the BIOS of the VM.

If the disk is blank you should not need to change the boot option in the VM BIOS either.

Sometimes you need to access the console of the VM while power on and on the little icon attach/connect the CD.

0 Kudos