VMware Cloud Community
AlexD1979
Contributor
Contributor

Guest loss NIC after Converting

Hello,

Some stupid things I have with several Guest VMs. After converting through the VMWare Converter from VMWare Server 2.0 (Ubuntu base) to ESXi 4.0, all the VMs has no NIC after booting, but in the vSphere there is some NIC shown. So I shutdown, delete the NICs, add new NICS and start the VM. If I now make the same settings as before, there comes a message, that there is already a NIC adapter with the same IP address, but this adapter is invisible because it is not active or a legecary-Adaper.

What this messege mean? Some hidden NICs?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Have a look in device manager of the guest VM (if its a Windows guest) - you will probably see the NIC in there. Before you add a new vNIC - delete the old one from Device Manager.

Dan

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

This is normal practice from VMware convertor. Normally you would just see it create new network adaptors in windows and they would have names like Local Area Network 3 or 4 if you used to have a few before. The IP address info is still associated to those but because the hardware (or the hardware presented to it) has changed it now doesn't show them.

The link below will guide you through showing all your hidden devices, when you run through it you should be able to remove the old nics and you won't get the message about it being set on another adaptor.

Dan

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Things, that you should do after vConerter.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos