VMware Cloud Community
maniee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest VM perfomance

Hi all,

I have VM with 4GB RAM and checked in the VM performance in the VCenter tab it is utilizing 20% only but when i log into my windows server 2012 in the task manager it is showing VM memory reached 99% .

In this scenario how i can validate VM performance and which number i should consider to give exact performance of the VM.

Regards

Maniee.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dhanarajramesh

can you verify the VM limit setting first. if it's been set to some GB less than 4GB then it's expected behavior. if the limit was set to unlimited, then give us overall data about host usage and TOP command snapshots.

0 Kudos
maniee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

VM limit is unlimited. whether it has to be modified to 4GB.

Could you please explain difference between set 4GB and unlimited .

0 Kudos
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This should help:

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/memory_counters.html

If the VM was configured for only 4GB of memory and the OS is using close to that 4GB then you would see 99% usage inside the guest OS.

The unlimited/limit values only come into play if you for example had assigned the VM say 6GB RAM but imposed a 4GB limit, therefore the VM would only be able to access 4GB even though 6GB had been configured. Unlimited is merely saying that you have not limited the amount of RAM the VM can consume and it can use all of the RAM it was configured for.

maniee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for your reply.really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos