VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest Pausing

Users noticed a guest pausing every 5-15 minutes. I did remove a LUN from my storage group on my SAN, but did NOT rescan my hosts. Would the hosts be causing this pause? I have since rescanned my hosts for datastores and am hoping it is corrected...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert

is it on just 1 particular ESX host or 1 particular datastore? there is a lot of troubleshooting to do. vmotion problem VMs to other hosts to see if the problem exists, or even sVmotion to other datastores and even other SAN arrays if possible to see where the problem exists.

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have personally never seen any issues with rescanning for VMFS datastores while users are connected to VMs. I don't think that is causing your pausing. If you can reproduce the issue I would check the networking to make sure there isn't a problem on the switch. Or that the ESX host is so overcommitted on CPU that it is causing the VMs to wait for long periods of time for access to physical CPU cores.

Matt

My blog:

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue though happened BEFORE rescanning actually. That is what I was wondering was the issue. Did the VM pause because I removed the LUN and did not rescan? All hosts still "saw" the datastore even though the LUN was no longer in the Storage Group on the backend.

0 Kudos