VMware Cloud Community
densei27
Contributor
Contributor

Guest OS disk size is wrong

Dear All

I convert physical server from dell Poweredge 1800 , that hard disk size 70 GB, but on convert process i select Harddisk type is tick and select custom hard disk size up to 120 GB, after convert complete, on computer management ==> disk management see disk0 have size 120 GB, but on windows see drice C: have only 70 GB, I don't know why happend like this please tell me how to fix it

0 Kudos
6 Replies
densei27
Contributor
Contributor

for more imformation , I used DELL T410 install ESXi 4.1.0 , 348481

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Post some screenshots.  What version of Windows?

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

densei27@hotmail.com

Dear All

I convert physical server from dell Poweredge 1800 , that hard disk size 70 GB, but on convert process i select Harddisk type is tick and select custom hard disk size up to 120 GB, after convert complete, on computer management ==> disk management see disk0 have size 120 GB, but on windows see drice C: have only 70 GB, I don't know why happend like this please tell me how to fix it

without seeing details, the DISK is 120GB.  The PARTITION where Windows is installed is only 70GB.  Whoever setup that machine left 50GIG wasted space..

Besides, what is the problem?  How much free space do you have?  That's the ONLY real issue.  If you are 70GB with ZERO free space, you can extend the drive.. no big deal.

0 Kudos
densei27
Contributor
Contributor

This is screenspot of server that have problem

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Looks like OS is win 2k3. That is very wierd.  Maybe you have a corrupted partition table.

Try rescanning disk by right clicking on Disk Management.  If that does not work then I would try shrinking it back to 67.7gb then back extend back to 120GB.

You maybe be able to use extpart (google it) for this.  I have never used it to shrink a partition but I have used it to extend the system partition many times without any issues.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I saw this a couple of times on physical as well as on virtual systems. It looks like the partition end information has not been written to the partition table correctly. Usually a minor resize of the partition will fix the issue (by rewriting the partition information). I'd recommend you grow the virtual disk by e.g. 1 GB and use gparted (or any other partitioning tool) to grow the partition to the maximum size. In case of gparted, make sure you download the latest version!

André

0 Kudos